New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

desperate for https browser help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ellaym

i have tried looking everywhere for an answer to this, everywhere.

basically, after several fun, troublefree months having just gotten panther and safari, i now all of a sudden cannot access any web page that requires you to log in via "https." not with safari, not with ie, not with firefox. regular pages are ok. i am sure there is some configuration problem that i am missing. i keep getting:

“POSIX error: Permission denied” (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:13) mesage.

i have repaired all the permissions on my disk. have moved .plist files to the desk top. have disabled the firewall. i am at a total loss-- cant access any personal info like bank accts and such... i am screwed.

would some kind person help...http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/new...ewthread&f=25#
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

It would seem that a system preference was changed since it is happening in all applications. I don't know what it does, but there is a "Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS)" setting in the Proxies options.

This is from Safari help (maybe something will help)

A webpage or link doesn't open

There are several reasons why a webpage might not open in Safari. Here are some things to try if a page fails to open.

Check the message that appears when a page fails to open. It may provide important information for solving the problem.
The website may be unavailable temporarily. Try again later.
If the page is located on the network or the Internet, make sure you are connected.
If you connect to the Internet using a corporate or enterprise network, the network may have a firewall that prevents you from opening the webpage. Contact your network administrator for help.
Make sure you have the correct address for the webpage and that you typed it correctly.
Safari may not be able to open a webpage because it doesn't recognize the first part of the address, which identifies the Internet protocol (such as HTTP or HTTPS).
If you are opening a webpage using a Rendezvous address, make sure the page is on the same subnet as your computer.
Try entering "/index.html" at the end of the address.
Empty the cache, then try reloading the page.
In some cases a link might open a file in another application. If the file or an application to open the file isn't available, a message says Safari can't open the URL or file. Contact the administrator of the website for help locating the file or the application needed to open it.
Some websites prevent using a browser they do not recognize. Contact the administrator of the website to find out if this is the case.

If a webpage fails to open, you can report the problem by choosing Report Bugs to Apple from the Safari menu.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Safari.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
ellaym

thank you SO much for taking the time to reply. i only hope i can help people some day with this issue. i had seen that safari help document but the problem was much SIMPLER and sneakier than that. basically, on closer inspection, norton had reset the preferences (just as you surmised) on one of my ports. also, after spending all nite with this and doing a full virus scan, i found i had a family of viruses living in the puter, of the genus, trojan.byteverify. hmmm... and all this with norton firewall. must have opened a sick email...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using mail to access gmail | one stupid site. »