New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Duplicate Message using Gmail Imap and Mac Mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RWL1900

RWL1900 is on a distinguished road

I have set up imap for Gmail on my Mac OSX mail and receive duplicate emails and duplicate mail counts. The first in my personal inbox and the second in the Allmail folder. Does anyone know how to turn off the duplicates?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I ran into this a bit early on. Check this article on Google's site and see if it helps:

Recommended IMAP client settings - Gmail Help

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RWL1900

RWL1900 is on a distinguished road

I tried all of the settings and suggested settings and it didn't work. What I finally determined would work was:

1) Choose settings within the gmail application on the web
2) click the labs section and enable advanced imap controls.
3) unclick the show in imap for all mail

Official Gmail Blog: New in Labs: Advanced IMAP Controls
QUOTE Thanks
Mojokaiser

Mojokaiser is on a distinguished road

I also tried the same settings mentioned above for apple mail behaviors from Gmail site:

Recommended IMAP client settings

All IMAP clients differ, and you can configure your mail client's settings to best suit your needs. However, to work optimally with Gmail, we recommend certain settings. Click on your client below to view our recommended configuration.
Apple Mail
• From the Mail menu, click Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors
◦ Drafts:
Store draft messages on the server > do NOT check
Sent:
Store sent messages on the server > do NOT check
Junk:
Store junk messages on the server > checked
Delete junk messages when > Never
Trash:
Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox > do NOT check
Store deleted messages on the server > do NOT check

And I also removed the preference plist and evelope index files, still to no avail. Upon restarting mail to receive my account creation here at forums I have the same 800 emails i just manually deleted. ug!
it's only from one gmail accnt, of which I have 3 gmail accnts total, and they are concurrently being "saved" as duplicates, minute by minute, in the "all mail" folder on the said accnt, which is set up as IMAP not Pop.
This is an everyday theater here deleting mail I cannot find even going to gmail directly and searching all folders/mail i have stored there on gmail server. Where is apple mail finding these?

re: one reply i sent once, is copied every minute, sometimes twice in same minute from 3:01 PM to 4:58 PM, total of over 200 copies of one reply, which was sent March 22, 2011, and still "finding" it somewhere, after I cleaned out gmail's server of this reply. Going on third set just today, of same duplicates being created from mail, deleted off gmail servers way back, over 800 mails to manually remove.. 3x's a day.

Image of partial list of a reply duplicated:

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...ialduplist.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
Matt Bianco

Matt Bianco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL1900 View Post
I have set up imap for Gmail on my Mac OSX mail and receive duplicate emails and duplicate mail counts. The first in my personal inbox and the second in the Allmail folder. Does anyone know how to turn off the duplicates?
I tried the suggestions listed on Google's Gmail forum on what to do within Mail under Accounts / Mailbox Behavior. It did not work.

This is what worked for me, after much trial and error:

1) Go to your gmail mail in your browser
2) Click on "Mail Settings" (gear symbol)
3) Click on "Labels"
4) uncheck: Click as many of the "Show in IMAP" selections as necessary. For me, as I feed four accounts into my Gmail, I unchecked the following:

- "Important"
- "All Mail"
- All the four accounts feeding to my primary mailbox

5) If you want to test each uncheck, simply quit Mail, and restart it with each setting change to see the changes take effect. I saw how each email when from 2-4 duplicates to elimination, one notch at a time

6) Return your Mail's Account / Mailbox Behavior to the default settings

See picture of my settings. Note, I also have some folders in my gmail that I left checked for IMAP. Personal choice to have those duplicates as it allows those folders to show up in Mail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2011-10-03 at 8.50.52 AM.jpg (577.1 KB, 31 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Excel:Mac 2011 Keyboard Shortcuts | Lame Module »