New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Any good free or cheap (<$20) text editors for OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

I downloaded a demo of BBEdit, it is very nice but $200 is a little more than I want to spend.

I was prompted to download BBEdit because of its shell command option which I used to open the Apache config files? I can't figure out how to access these files any other way, they are located in /etc/httpd/. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

TextWranger, BBEdit's little brother maybe?

http://www.barebones.com/products/te...er/index.shtml
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

In finder, press apple-shift-g (or click go > go to folder) and type in /etc/httpd and you can bring up a file listing to open with a text editor of your choice (even textedit).

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
TextWranger, BBEdit's little brother maybe?

http://www.barebones.com/products/te...er/index.shtml

How did I miss that? hehe, ohh well, that rocks. Now how do I go about removing BBEdit completely, I drug it to the trash but the command line part didn't un-install.
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
In finder, press apple-shift-g (or click go > go to folder) and type in /etc/httpd and you can bring up a file listing to open with a text editor of your choice
I tried that, but I typed in "/" instead of the entire path, which didn't work. Ooops. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

smultron is my favourite

http://smultron.sourceforge.net/
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

SubEthaEdit, which is free for non-commercial use. ($35 for commercial use.)

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

OS X comes with two great text editors - vi (vim, actually) and emacs.

Though you kind of need to use Terminal to get to them, and you kind of also need to know how to use them...they kind of go against the Mac GUI grain to say the least. :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj
vi (vim, actually) and emacs
Not a fan of those.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
SubEthaEdit, which is free for non-commercial use. ($35 for commercial use.)

http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/
Yep great program. I love the Rendezvous support!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj
OS X comes with two great text editors - vi (vim, actually) and emacs.

Though you kind of need to use Terminal to get to them, and you kind of also need to know how to use them...they kind of go against the Mac GUI grain to say the least. :ninja:
You forgot pico.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I would go with walkerj and meltbanana314 because you said free and cheap. These editors comes with the system. So you can bet that.Side note, I would suggest you learn vi at least because it is a part of every Unix system. So if nothing else is available vi will be.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

vi's great (I tried it after rmans suggestion, on linux and bsd I always used to use pico), read the link below for a somewhat lengthy tutorial

http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html

it took me about 20 mins of fiddling around to do some cool stuff (I really like the line formatting shortcuts), though I still prefer smultron just because its faster to move through code with a mouse when doing short hops.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I like vim because it's the best cross-platform editor I know of. I really dislike the bloat of emacs and jEdit leaves a lot to be desired, but vim never really gets in my way.

I'm really liking Smultron at the moment though. I only wish it had a shebang menu like TextWrangler and TextForge do.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbanana314
I like vim because it's the best cross-platform editor I know of. I really dislike the bloat of emacs and jEdit leaves a lot to be desired, but vim never really gets in my way.
I have no particular problem with emacs' bloat but that might be because it's the first editor I ever learned to use. Vi came later, and is what I use predominantly when text needs to be edited. I only use emacs for one single thing after all this time, and that is to define a keyboard macro to do some sort of custom and repetitive text manipulation. I'll actually save/quit a file I'm editing with vim, run emacs on the file to only perform my macro, then save/quit to go back into vim to continue whatever edits are left.

Heh, never thought I'd see the day when talking about those editors would be apropos in a Mac forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Editing Safari Menu | Group Messages by Sender (From name/email) in Mac OS X Mail »