New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I threw Out java on accident

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jsizzle

Jsizzle can only hope to improve

Ok, so I've been having a problem with java, The other day I threw away and EMPTIED some stuff in my applications that I thought were useless. It turns out that I need to use Elluminate Live Today but It tells me I dont have an application to launch it with! I use a Mac OS X 4.8. I threw Out java on accident! And when I press Software Update Nothing happens! HELP!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Here is Java for 10.4, Release 9. This appears to be the newest version of Java for 10.4. You will have to update to 10.4.11 to install this (which you should do anyway).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jsizzle

Ok but even when I download it it wants me to choose an application
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Did you quit all your browsers before installing?

It appears that Elluminate Live depends on Java Web Start. If you open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and enter the command "javaws" (without the quotation marks), what appears in the Terminal window? If you get "-bash: javaws: command not found", you don't have the Java Web Start launcher available (or at least in your path). Let's start here though.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jsizzle

I Have none of that stuff
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Ok, when you moved stuff from your Applications folder, you wouldn't have deleted Java because Java resides in a folder outside of /Applications. For instance, the java compiler (javac) resides in /usr/bin along with java (the runtime executable/interpreter) and javaws (Java Web Start launcher). Execute "whereis javaws" (w/o quotation marks) in the Terminal - it's possible it's no longer in /usr/bin for some reason.

What does "whereis java" return when you execute it?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jsizzle

I'm not sure I'm not good with macs, im kinda new
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If the command in my previous post returned nothing (ie. you executed it and nothing came back), then javaws doesn't exist in "the standard binary directories" (see man page here). The directories searched by the whereis utility on my machine are /usr/bin, /bin, /usr/sbin and /sbin as told by the "sysctl user.cs_path" command. I would imagine it is the same for you. While this may be more info than you needed, it's for anyone who might be interested.

Here is one more technique that can be used to find something. Execute the following in a Terminal:
Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
This will ask for your password. Give it some time to execute. After executing that, execute the following:
Code:
locate javaws
Paste back here what that prints to the Terminal window.

If that returns nothing, this command probably won't either but it can't hurt to try. Executing the following command will search your root directory (equivalent of C: on Windows) for javaws:
Code:
sudo find / -name javaws
This will take a while and may ask you for you password.

I find it hard to believe that you deleted this file - you would have know if you deleted javaws as it's in a directory that is hidden by default in Finder. If you did indeed delete it, the "copy" of javaws in /usr/bin is actually just an alias. So, if it isn't there, we can recreate it. For now, just try the aforementioned searches.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jsizzle

man, I have no idea how to execute
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Open up the application called Terminal in /Applications/Utilities. Copy and paste the aforementioned commands into the Terminal window one at a time and press enter after each.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jsizzle

Ok so I opened up the OniOutliner that I found by Terminal and entered all the commands and nothing happened
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsizzle View Post
Ok so I opened up the OniOutliner that I found by Terminal and entered all the commands and nothing happened
What's OniOutliner?

If both the locate and find commands returned nothing, then javaws doesn't exist. You did somehow delete it but I don't know how. Let's try something else because I find it very hard to believe you somehow deleted everything that has to do with Java. What are the contents of the /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions folder? To get there, open up "Macintosh HD" on your desktop and go from there.

One thing I also notice is that earlier you say that you downloaded the Java update I linked to earlier but did not install it. Did you install it? Did you update to 10.4.11?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Jsizzle

There is no System in my Macintosh HD.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Yes you do. You must have this directory or your machine wouldn't be working (if it was, it wouldn't be working very well). See here for an explanation for the directories on your Mac. Note the description for /System: "System related files, libraries, preferences, critical for the proper function of Mac OS X".

Click on your desktop and push Shift-Command-G at the same time. In the ensuing box, enter "/System" (w/o the quotes) and click Go. Now, navigate to Library > Frameworks > JavaVM.framework > Versions. What is in that directory?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« It takes insanely long to sync my iDisk | iwork 09 »