data recovery software
    Hi, a friend of mine reformated my external hard drive and now I am trying to get my data back. A friend recommended diskwarrior, but its not a freeware. I know that normally you have for everything a god freeware but I do not know which and I am even not finding any for mac in the net. Would be great if anybody knew something, so I can finally recover the data on my hard disk.

Thank you :-)

Crawley, England
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Nothing free for this kind of thing, even the software you can buy is expensive £100+. I am also dubious of it's capabilities.
    As you have reformatted it's going to be very tough anyway.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    What file format was being used on the external hard drive? If it was HFS+ then it's going to be expensive to recover. However, if the drive was formatted to FAT-32 or even NTFS there are a variety of freeware programs that can recover from a format or deletion but they are Windows programs.

In any event, do not mount or use the drive until you're ready to recover the data.

27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3

I have Data Rescue II for my PPC machines but I'll be buying 3 once I ditch my G5. Worth every penny...

C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
    If there's any way you can get your hands on a windows machine or if you can go into windows on your mac, you can try Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download . I had to use it onces on my PC and I have recommended it to other people who needed to recover some data. They always said it worked.

If you can't get your hands on windows then I'm sure baggss is right on with Data Rescue 3.
    USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
    Upgrade your MBP HD
    Tritton AXPro FS

Thread Information