New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iLife - Backing up iTunes Library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andremal

As I'm ripping more and more CDs to iTunes, I'm beginning to think about getting a backup going. I'm wondering what methods people use other than the standard burn to a dvd. I'm looking for a backup tool that will only backup new entries rather than the whole collection. Hope I'm making sense...

thx
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I don't even have my iTunes stored on my iMacs hard drive. I have a 250gb external hard drive which I set to be where my iTunes library is and all the music is stored there

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
andremal

and from your reply, it sounds like you're good with that and don't backup your collection?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Their are lots of backup programs to be found that will do what your asking. Tri backup is a good one but does cost money. I suggest that you do a search on versiontracker or macupdate for backup programs, download the demos and try them out. Hope this is of help to you ?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremal
and from your reply, it sounds like you're good with that and don't backup your collection?
Well the way I look at it is...I have the music I listen to the most on my iPods and on the External Hard Drive, I turn off the external hard drive when its not being used. There is no operating system on the drive so any system failures will not affect the data on my external drive. And worst comes to worst I still have the CD's

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
andremal

heh, no iPod here. I guess I overlooked that as a backup option... thx bobbins, I'll take a look. Someone I worked with suggested Toast. Anyone have experience with it's backup options? I'll be burning to dvd.

~a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Well the way I look at it is...I have the music I listen to the most on my iPods and on the External Hard Drive, I turn off the external hard drive when its not being used. There is no operating system on the drive so any system failures will not affect the data on my external drive. And worst comes to worst I still have the CD's
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Forgot about Toast, yes it has a control Panel with it called 'Deja Vu' which I think you should be able to download and tryout before buying Toast.

I'm sorry to say that I haven't tried it out myself yet so I can't really comment on it's usefulness. However, toast is a great burning program with lots of extra options, well worth the money for a CD/DVD burning program. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

Uh... one word, "rsync".
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well are you looking ot backup on DVD/CD, external drive, etc? Your choice would make a big difference on your options.

Personally the best option is an iPod. If I ever lose my music on my system, I can always pull it off of there. I also have a full backup of my system on an external firewire drive that I update every month. I use SuperDuper! to do the backup.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
andremal

Thx for the reply Schweb. I'll be burning to DVD, and since it's my music collection, I want to just burn an aac file once obviously. Just looking for a streamlined way to backup AAC's that have been added since the last back up.
QUOTE Thanks
bhanson

Another thing just came to mind, you could write a simple shell script to check the creation dates of the files, and if the date is newer than your last backup, copy the files to the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

You could also try the iso 9660 format with toast as I believe that this can be set up to make incremental backups, so that it will just add new tracks to the existing DVD without wiping the hole disk and burning everything again. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« July 17th? | iWorks or Office 2004? »