New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What dope is MS Word smokin'?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

urprobablyright

urprobablyright is on a distinguished road

I have a Macbook Pro - which I purchased about 6 months ago and is of the recent generation - which is giving me strife.

There are lots of things about it that are annoying me but generally I can solve problems by switching to my windows partition, sadly though there's one stuff-up that i cannot avoid and that i must fix.

I have the mac version of Microsoft Word, and it is terrible. On my relatively new mac, word freezes whenever I try to open a word document with pictures in it, it loads for many minutes whenever i try to copy/paste things - especially when those things are pictures, but text is almost as bad - and, essentially, I have to force quit 5 minutes into every session of use.

It's riddled, apparently, with bugs or scripting stuff-ups and it's driving me up the walls.

a) What the heck is affecting it?
b) What is it about mac operating systems that makes things slow down/stuff up - is it my fault? How can I fix it? I've asked many people if there are mac defrag programs and they say no - but none of the fools can tell me what I CAN do.
c) What can I do to fix it short of sending it halfway across the world for 2 months of repair?

ps. For the record, I bought my mac in Beijing, China. This may or may not be a problem though since I bought it in an official Mac store for official Mac prices.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

All Mac's are made in China.

Do you have the service packs installed on Office? Also I assume it's '08?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

If you are using Office 2008 make sure you have upgraded to version 12.2.0. Upgrades are available from the Mactopia website.

Office for Mac - Easy Access to Downloads and Updates | Mactopia
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

Howdy. A couple questions for you:

How much RAM do you have? The more the better. Speed of programs often relates to the lack of enough RAM.

Have you repaired permissions since you installed Word or any update of it?

Are other programs having the same problems? (crashing, slow, etc.)

Do you have any haxies installed?

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Word runs great on my Mac since I installed all of the updates. The text used to lag, but that's all but gone with the last 12.2.0 update believe it was.

Specs are to the left.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« what productivity software do you all use ? | Change stream name in iTunes? »