New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to get contents of folder into a .txt file?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I need the contents of a folder to be displayed in a .txt file, but unlike with Automator, I don't need the entire directory to be listed -- just the files as they appear in the folder.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

open terminal, cd to the folder, type ls, then copy and paste into your text editor.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Easier....

ls > whatever_you_want_to_name_it.txt

ls -l if you want more information... ls -lh if you want filesizes to be human readable

ooooo if you really just want the FILES, not subdirectories..

find . -depth 1 -type file > filename.txt

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

find . -depth 1 -type file > filename.txt

Where do I type that in? Do I start with the period?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

That is a command that you input into the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

In addition to vansmith's excellent point (I completely forgot to mention how to get there) the find statement is the start of the command. So it will look like this..

mikeMbp:~ mike$ find . -depth 1 -type file > examlpleFile.txt
mikeMbp:~ mike$

Now the contents will look something like this..

./.ano
./.bash_history
./.CFUserTextEncoding
./.DS_Store
./.lesshst
./.profile
./.syncdocs
./.viminfo
./.Xauthority
./able.preferences
./ANALYS32.XLL
./dscli
./examlpleFile.txt

if the ./ is a problem we can ditch that by doing something like this...

find . -depth 1 -type file | sed 's:./: :' > examlpleFile.txt

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Geez. Why does everybody jump for the Terminal for such a simple problem?

Open a folder.
Choose Edit > Select All
Choose Edit > Copy
Open a text editor, such as BBEdit or TextWrangler.
(Important note: if you use TextEdit, make sure you are using Plain Text mode. By default, you can do this by choosing Format > Make Plain Text. You should not see the toolbar with Style and Line Spacing.)
Choose Edit > Paste
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The only thing I have noticed with Dysfunction's idea, which I would have also suggested, is that the file you redirect output to (I think that's the right phrase) will also include the name of the file you redirect to. To clarify, let me show you.

If I execute ls > test.txt in my home directory, the content of test.txt is as follows:
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Library
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Sites
test.txt

So, as you can see, the file you are trying to save the output of ls to is also included in that list. This also occurs for the aforementioned find command. One simple way around this would be to redirect to a file outside of the directory you are trying to get the contents of. So, for instance, you could execute the following:
Code:
ls > ~/Desktop/test.txt
If you prefer Dysfunction's find command above, you can also change the redirect file:
Code:
find . -depth 1 -type file > ~/Desktop/exampleFile.txt
Each of these will output the file to the desktop. You can of course change where the file is written to.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone help me with setting up my email? | Apps keep quiting »