New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Transmission Slowing Network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrTissues

MrTissues is on a distinguished road

Could anyone help me? I have the newest Apple Router but when I run Transmission Bittorrent it brings my entire network to a crawl, even if the downloads are not going quickly. I have reduced the number of ports in the preferences from the default of:
200 Connections
60 Peers

Down to:
100 Connections
30 Peers

I did this because it says in the preferences that a high connection number can slow the network, however I feel like reducing the default by half should be more than enough, and it is not.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Are you uploading at a decent rate? Sometimes uploading for me (even at 40kb/s) can really slow down our Internet at home.
QUOTE Thanks
MrTissues

Your right it could be my upload which averages at around 60 kbps. The only problem is that if you cap it most trackers know that and will not let you download at a reasonable speed.

I just now set a static IP address with my router and port forwarded 9090 (Transmission is using this port) so maybe this should fix some problems since it will be more direct.
QUOTE Thanks
MrTissues

I set the upload lower and it still does not seem to fix anything.

Heres some more info. I have my laptop set to connect to my Airport wirelessly and it has a static IP. I have forwarded the Transmission port and it is open. I average at around 60kbps upload constantly, so I do not think that this is my problem (and even when setting total upload to 0, this fixes nothing). My download speed never should slow my internet like it does. At speedtest.net with Transmission running I get around .71mbps down and .04mbps up (441 ping). Without it running I get 15.12mbps down and .48mbps up (31 ping).

This is unusual, anyone know how to fix this? It wouldnt be such a big problem if the rest of my family was not on the same network.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkH870804

MarkH870804 is an unknown at this point

I have the same problem. I don't think it has anything to do with up/download rate though. Someitmes I am downloading a new music album and I can hit 1Mb/sec without slowing down my network and sometimes I download a 720p mkv file which only has 2kb/s and brings down my entire network... I have to restart the network.

And please... don't tell me to use the turtle button to speed limit everything... That does bring up the speed but not much but the dl/up rate is 10k/s max.
QUOTE Thanks
roderick

roderick is on a distinguished road

Transmission has a forum...
QUOTE Thanks
Lizzy Borden

Lizzy Borden is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac osx 10.5.8

Maybe it's your Internet Service Provider squeezing the connection. Make sure you aren't going over your monthly download limit. Usually people have 30 to 60 gigs per month. I had 30 and was going over my limit frequently, so they slowed things down. I have since switched providers and have a 60 gig limit. No more problems.
QUOTE Thanks
jgorrilla

jgorrilla is on a distinguished road

This is not an explanation, just a fix I just discovered. I found that if I clicked on Speed Limit when it was set to 10 kbps and 10 kbps net surfing returned to normal; that makes sense, but if you keep this on and bump the limits to 1000 kbps down and 100 kbps up, the internet browsing is not impacted.

If you turn off Speed Limit, the browsing comes to a crawl again regardless of your Global settings.

I am still experimenting and am going to head over to Transmissions forums for a little more digging, but this fix seems to work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicktime X and .midi issue | Adding IP printer where IP address changes »