New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari 4: Possible to display text labels on buttons?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I am once again giving Safari a try, now that Apple has finally released it.

Although I'm sure that there is a way to do this (and I think previous versions of Safari could), I just don't see a way... and repeated Googling yields nothing. So, I'm hoping one of you longtime Safari users can help a Firefox person out

I would like text labels on the buttons in Safari. For example, in Mail, if you right-click the toolbar at the top, you can choose "Icon & Text, Icon Only, or Text Only". In Safari, the only option is to Customize Toolbar. When you do so, the kicker is that it actually shows the text labels on the buttons within the scope of the customize window. But once placed on the bar, it's icons only.

This is a very minor annoyance, but I just prefer the text labels. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Interesting. In Safari 4 I see no way to give it Icons and Text in the toolbar. Like you said Mail has that option. I remember older Safari way back having that option. Will get back to you if I find a way.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't see a text option in the Win version either.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

I don't see that option either.

If you want to download one of the older versions of Safari to get this feature, just google it or something.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I tried looking through the plist file for Safari and the best I could get was to remove the toolbar completely, leaving only the bookmarks bar (which can easily be done through the View menu anyway). After fooling around with the plist file, I was somehow able to get the home label under the home button but that was the only button. For the life of me, I can't remember what to change in the plist to get that again.

EDIT: Got it! Okay, all buttons will display text below them except the back/forward button. Open the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist file and change the "NSToolbar Configuration BrowserWindow" > "TB Display Mode" value to 0. That should get all buttons with labels except back/forward. That's as far as I can get you. Note, when asked to save, I had to choose "Don't Save" or the values were re-written.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I tried looking through the plist file for Safari and the best I could get was to remove the toolbar completely, leaving only the bookmarks bar (which can easily be done through the View menu anyway). After fooling around with the plist file, I was somehow able to get the home label under the home button but that was the only button. For the life of me, I can't remember what to change in the plist to get that again.

EDIT: Got it! Okay, all buttons will display text below them except the back/forward button. Open the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist file and change the "NSToolbar Configuration BrowserWindow" > "TB Display Mode" value to 0. That should get all buttons with labels except back/forward. That's as far as I can get you. Note, when asked to save, I had to choose "Don't Save" or the values were re-written.
Awesome, just awesome! You rock, Vansmith. Thank you!!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

No problem.

I'll see if I can figure out later when I get home if there is a way to add a label to the back/forward button as well. It seems a little odd that only some buttons have the label and other don't.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

way to go vansmith

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Good work Van. I am just sort of surprised that there was not more on google as I am sure others wondered where the text labels went.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
"NSToolbar Configuration BrowserWindow" > "TB Display Mode" value to 0.
That should actually be "NSToolbar Configuration BrowserWindowToolbarIdentifier" for anyone else wondering.

I tried looking around and I can't seem to figure out if there is the ability to add one to the back/forward button. As an aside, I noticed that after I checked the plist file again, the value had reverted back to 1 but Safari still had labels under the TB buttons. It's a mystery to me as to how or why this happens. I'm starting to think that this button is special in relation to the others, perhaps because it is "two-in-one" so to speak.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I wonder why apple chose to take out the option to show text and icons? In my searching around early this morning I found old Safari with that option. Strange.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« convertx to dvd | Remote desktop/access »