New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iPhoto not connecting to Facebook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bungy

bungy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD

Is any-one else having trouble connecting iPhoto to Facebook?

I first of all struggled to get iPhoto to let me enter my facebook user name. I got the detail entry form up, i could click on the text box, but no matter what i did on the keyboard no letters would appear in the text box.

after a lot of messing around i got my username in the box, enter my password and click login. but all the happens is i get a blue circle mouse pointer and nothing else happens.

any-one else experiencing this?

i think that a software update recently must have upgraded iPhoto as it wanted to upgrade my library when i started iPhoto tonight so wonder if this bug has not been introduced by a new version?
QUOTE Thanks
beefman

beefman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 3.06Ghz

I just went through that too. Did you download the iPhoto Exporter for Facebook?...Then look under the export photo tab in iPhoto you must log into Facebook from there...hope you understand. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
neiltony

neiltony is on a distinguished road

While the above stated problem does install a new tab in export, the user above is obviously using '08, not '09. '09 has the "nifty" facebook button at the bottom of the page that you just hit.... and wahlah, you're uploading... i too have EXACTLY the same problem, and have tried many attempts at fixing this including using a different facebook email address, and different facebook password. NO GO! The tab that the facebook installer program installs does work, but so what! I want that button to work dagnabit!
QUOTE Thanks
bungy

yup, using iPhoto 9. My Macbook is only 6 weeks old.

thing is, it was working fine a week or two ago, but since i got some updates over the week-end it won't work anymore.

the wierd bit is when you click the button and then it asks you to set up an account (my account was previously setup, but it seems to have forgotten this), i can't actually type anything in the username box. the cursor just sits there and flashes. I can enter a password though, but what good is that without a username.
QUOTE Thanks
jordya

jordya is on a distinguished road

I too am having the same problem. However, I am able to upload photos to my account. But, I tried the "change accounts" button so my wife could upload photos to her account...and thats when I noticed the problem. I can't type in the login box (the cursor just blinks). I tried a copy-paste that seemed to work, but then I just get the blue circle. I am using iPhoto 09. Is there a fix coming out or do we have to download the iPhoto Exporter?
QUOTE Thanks
bradyh1

bradyh1 is on a distinguished road

Actually guys, just figured it out, at least for me - Quit iPhoto, go to your Home folder / Library / Preferences / com.apple.iphoto and delete that preference file. Then restart iPhoto and it was suddenly fixed for me!

Tons of other threads back it as well.
QUOTE Thanks
spiffypyaaz

spiffypyaaz is on a distinguished road

bradyh1, i tried looking for the com.apple.iphoto file in the preference folder, but there isn't one in my preference folder. have any of you run across anything else that would be helpful?

i noticed that it automatically populates the email address that you used to log into facebook from safari (i have been using mozilla so it took a while to figure that out, since my husband used facebook in safari last).

PLEASE ADVICE!
QUOTE Thanks
Tony LaF

Tony LaF is on a distinguished road

thanks brother...that worked...all the best. tony LaF

devilsdentattoo.com
QUOTE Thanks
bradyh1

bradyh1 is on a distinguished road

spiffypyaaz... not sure why your not seeing it. If you've updated your mac with the latest software, and updated iphoto as well... that .pst file should be found by just following that path I gave.

MAKE SURE... to close iphoto before going hunting and then delete that file and remove from trash. Then open iphoto back up.

Go Finder / Home folder / Library / Preferences / com.apple.iphoto.pst (i believe that is the extension to the file you need to delete) It's defiantly in there if you've recently updated your OS.

You may also want to try rebuilding iphoto by closing down iphoto and then pressing & holding the Apple and Option key's will clicking to open iphoto again. Then just select on the pop up screen all the boxes to help rebuild iphoto. That may help too.
QUOTE Thanks
alpha04

alpha04 is on a distinguished road

Having the same problem too. I have iPhoto 09 as well and I often use it to upload photos directly to my facebook account. After I updated iphoto a few days ago, the problem started. Mine displays my email address, though, but can't edit it... after I put in my password, I get that blue circle pointer as well. I waited it out (fell asleep, actually) and still nothing. Still to try bradyh1's suggestion... thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
alpha04

alpha04 is on a distinguished road

It worked! Thanks bradyh1.
QUOTE Thanks
bungy

This has now been fixed properly by Apple. The problem has been caused by Safari 4.

Do a software update and download the new Safari 4.0.1 and the facebook upload from iPhoto will work again :-)
QUOTE Thanks
MrElvey

MrElvey will become famous soon enough

I thought I was getting this problem now in iPhoto.

I last uploaded stuff to facebook via iPhoto about 11 months ago.

The two facebook albums in iPhoto have little warning triangles indicating a connection problem, and I get this error when I click on an album:
"An error occurred with the publication of album <the name of the album>
Authentication with server failed. Please check your login and password information."

If I click the settings button, the Change Settings button is greyed out.
That's where the login and password go, no?* If I click Remove Account from iPhoto, wil that delete the facebook albums in iPhoto? It seemed that there was no way to change the password. (I wondered if the feature had been partly removed from iPhoto!)

I planned to try bradyh1's suggestions.

*NO! SOLUTION: The password settings are only accessible by clicking on the right kind of photo in order to make the "f" button visible and clickable, and then clicking it, and then pressing "Change Accounts". (Odd this isn't in Preferences!)
QUOTE Thanks
maccamenzies

maccamenzies is on a distinguished road

Here we are in 2012 and still no fix for the iphoto uploader problem.Or is it a facebook problem. Or is it a problem with the safari(but im using version 5).

Tried all the suggested fixes with no luck.

Any other comments???
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Well:

1. You're commenting on a thread that ended three years ago, and

2. I upload photos to Facebook fairly routinely using iPhoto '11 without any issues at all, so it's not a universal problem. iPhoto and Safari have nothing to do with each other.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WANTED: Secure password manager for OSX 10.9.5 please | Have Office 365 but my Macs are running 2011 can i upgrade »