New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari unexpectedly quits

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

code777

Sometimes while surfin Safari quits and a pop up box comes up asking if i want to submit bug report to Apple.

Anyway i've repaired permissions, reset Safari and it safari quit again on CERTAIN pages... is there a fix for this? Not sure what to do.

Can the crash report tell me anything? It seems like its only on certain webpages. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

have you tried these webpages in any other browsers?
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

Safari prefers boat loads of free memory. if you request too much for "wired" or active memory from Safari, it will have malloc(memory allocation) errors, resulting in a crash.

not necessarily the case here, but a typical culprit.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

once in a great while I have had Safari do that. It RARELY happens so it does not really bother me as you just open it again and continue. Had Firefox do it on both the Mac and Windows before also.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I had Safari doing that a couple months ago...I believe all I had to do was trash the preferences and it worked fine again. Might be something to try if the malloc doesn't fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

no have not tried these webpages in other browsers, but it seems to only happen to certain pages that have lots of animation and sound that run while you are viewing the page (usually dumb ads).

What prefs would i trash? How do I fix malloc?

[edit] i should also explain that when i tried the same webpage on my iBook safari crashed on there as well so i know its not the computer as both the iMac and iBook crashed...

Can the crash report tell me anything? I look at it and its just a bunch of stuff I don't understand.

Like under "Exception" it says: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) under "Codes" it says: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x30a77954
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sherlock question | Multiple undo's Photoshop CS »