New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine Backup or Archive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Windstrong

Windstrong is on a distinguished road

I'm almost out of diskspace and have purchased a My Book 1TB external hardrive. Time Machine works great on it, and now I would like to delete some of the files from my MacBook to free up space now.

I have tested this mildly, and see that when I go back in Time through Time Machine, I can restore those files. I'm talking about mostly videos, though I can see that photos will need to come next.

That's great, but looking into the future, I wonder how I can access all of those deleted files when the external harddrive reaches capacity and I need to download onto a larger drive.

My question is, is this a safe option? I see from a previous post that what I may need to do is an archive on a separate external harddrive.

Is this the advice I should take, and if so, can anyone please share further information on what archiving is. With a 1 TB harddrive, could I possibly do it on the same drive as my Time Machine is activated on?

Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

NO it is not a safe option.
Time Machine is great for short term restore availability of accidentally deleted items. Backups will be deleted as the drive gets fuller.

Save your movies, music, photos and all important docs on at least one totally separate drive. Sad truth ~ HDs die.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pages '09' Help? | Using Adobe CS2 with Leopard »