New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Best P2P Software for mac?

Thread Closed

fdb

I've been a PC user since PCs were around but recently began using Macs for Quark, Flash and Photoshop and I took a liking too them. Long story short, I sold my Thinkpad T23 and bought a used iBook G3 800 mghtz off of ebay. Now I'm clueless as to what is the best and where to get it as far as software goes. I'm looking for a good P2P program and a free FTP program that's half decent. Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome.

Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

I'll use Limewire and BitTorrent for p2p and Transmit is a great FTP app although its $10-20 to register. Not a big cost if you're uploading alot.
fdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
I'll use Limewire and BitTorrent for p2p and Transmit is a great FTP app although its $10-20 to register. Not a big cost if you're uploading alot.
thanks. where do I get transmit? do you have a good site where I can browse all sorts of apps? Similar to PC's Download.com... Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

www.versiontracker.com
www.macupdate.com

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

mmmm...beat me to it
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget to try out RBrowserLite for ftp upload as it's free and I like it more that Transmit and RBrowser it's big (pay for me) brother with more features.

Poisoned is a nice P2P client. :cool:
nanovivid

nanovivid is on a distinguished road

FTP Client
Transmit is great, and my preferred client, but if you're looking for free, Cyberduck is quite nice.

P2P
Poisioned is good, as is Acquisition. Both of them use the LimeWire, gnutella, and FastTrack (Kazaa) networks.

If you're looking for a SoulSeek client, I'd recommend Nicotine.app. It takes a while to start up, and the interface is slightly wonky, but it's the most stable slsk client I've found yet. soulseeX might get there eventually though.
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

I use Acquisition and i find it's the best... limewire is kind of a laggy program (not the downlaod speeds) and i can't even run it without it having to force quit.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdb
thanks. where do I get transmit? do you have a good site where I can browse all sorts of apps? Similar to PC's Download.com... Thanks
You can get a lot of espcially Internet type apps on www.tucows.com. Once there click on Mac then Internet.
hmmmnz

i have lime wire and its fine for programs and popular music and movies, but if you like more random stuff, dc++ has just released a version for mac, i havn't used it yet but on the pc its great, i recomend it
monkeymara

I'm using mac mini and chose poisoned for p2p. It started off great, really fast the first couple of days then slowed to a virtual crawl. I can barely download anything completely now or get "nothing". What am I doing wrong?
joeytomatoes

Snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdb
I'm looking for a good P2P program and a free FTP program that's half decent. Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome.
I use versiontracker for most of my source of software.
Gabos is the P2P I use and its free.
Jameskk

Jameskk is on a distinguished road

I used (link to Frostwire removed) for quite some time, it's probably the most popular and the most easy to use P2P client for Mac. Very easy to learn how to use if you're a newbie too.
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You are replying to a post from 2005.
turion256

turion256 is on a distinguished road

you can use (link to Frostwire removed). It is very easy to use and very helpful. I often use it.

Thread Closed

« Lion/iDVD | iTunes deleted all my iCal events! »