New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

ssh problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluesunquake

bluesunquake is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 10.4.11

Hi all! I'm desperately hoping that you can help me out. I'm a Mac newbie, recently converted from Windows, and loving it. I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.11. I'm supposed to be working on my PhD at the moment, but haven't been able to login to my linux box in England for 4 days now! Argh!

I'm running ssh in an xterm window. The command is:
ssh -Y <myname>@<servername>

This has always worked before. It worked at my house last Thursday. On Friday I went to my mother's house for the weekend. It worked there. When I returned home on Sunday, it had stopped working. The error message is: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

I've contacted the network admin in England. He says it must be on my end. I deleted my .ssh directory. I removed all my caches. I called my isp and asked if they'd changed any firewall settings. I read all kinds of things online about ssh. I made a new test account and tried to connect from there. No dice.

When I run ssh -v -v -v I get:

ssh -v -v -v -Y <myname>@<servername>
OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to <servername> [server] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/<myname>/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/<myname>/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/<myname>/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
kousik

kousik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Model: Macbook; Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4GHz); RAM: 2GB (DDR3); Video memory: 256MB

Looks like something is wrong on the server side. Have a look at this (they have the same problem):
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host - LinuxQuestions.org

Try connecting from a different machine and if it does not work I'd suggest ask the admin to check on the /var/ directory on the server as pointed out in the above post.

System specs: (1) 13" Macbook Aluminum Unibody (OSX 10.5.8, Darwin 9.8.0, Intel Core2 duo 2.4GHz, 2GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M) (2) Dell Inspiron 6000 (Intel Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM) -- triple booting with Puppy Linux 4.31, Kubuntu 9.10 and Windows XP Home.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Real audio player alternative | Word 2008 - Set page one (pg #) to be on third page »