New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Strange Character Issue In Firefox & Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

holyzen

holyzen is on a distinguished road

Hello, I've read up on the available posts regarding this issue, but none of the solutions provided have fixed it for me.

On both of my web browsers, certain web pages are suddenly full with strange characters. Here is a photo to show you what I mean:

I did recently install a number of new fonts, so this could be the problem..

So far I have:
- Changed both browsers to Unicode (UTF-8)
- Verified fonts and deleted those marked with red X
- Deleted Helvetica Fractions
- Disabled certain typefaces that matched the weird characters. For instance, I saw that Zapfino was showing up on the web browser in conjunction with all the strange characters so I decided to disable Zapfino, but then it just took another typeface to replace where Zapfino was. Now it's some sort of italicized semi script font, but I don't know what it is... and if I disable it, I'm sure it would just replace it with another one.

I took my laptop to the Genius Bar the other day because I was having issues with Adobe, and the guy suggested that this problem was probably tied to Adobe. He supposedly fixed it, but as you can see, I'm still having the issue.

Help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Definitely a corrupt font problem.
Download Fontnuke and run it, it usually does the trick beautifully.

jamapi

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Which web pages are you seeing this? The reason I ask is it almost appears that someone has entered characters in a language which does not use the Roman character set.

I've seen the same thing on certain forums where the writer has attempted to enter a response in English, but his operating system was based on Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, or an Asian language.

I've even received email like that - for the same reason.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
holyzen

holyzen is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for the replies!

I downloaded Font Nuke, and it deleted quite a few cache filed, but I'm still having the same problem. I did notice that there are two cache files that don't seem to go away though because I restarted and ran Font Nuke again and noticed there were still two cache files that didn't get deleted the last time. I tried locating them and deleting them myself by emptying them out of the trash can, but it says they are in use. I have all the programs closed so I don't know what application is using it?

The websites that give me this issue are all sites I have visited before that worked fine-- craigslist.com, forever21.com.
QUOTE Thanks
dhoodsquirrel

dhoodsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Holysen: I am having the same problem you are right now, what did you figure out to solve it?
QUOTE Thanks
ViolaPing

ViolaPing is on a distinguished road

Both firefox & safari has the same problem? how about Opera?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transmission Newb | Layout changes after publishing website »