New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

new to file sharing...best bittorent client for mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hello,
I am wondering what the best bittorent client for Mac is?? I've heard a lot of people talk of this but have never really looked into what it is. I think it is different that what is on a pc??
thanks for the info,
Matt
QUOTE Thanks
mjq1986

mjq1986 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Macbook (2 Ghz, 2 GB Ram, 160 GB HDD)

Talk of what???

Well, I just switched to a Mac recently and I used Transmission. Its a really nice software for downloading torrents and is quite simple and easy to use. I think you should go for that.
QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

thx for the advice. are there specific mac bittorent sites where you can search. would a mac bittorent be different from a pc bittorent?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

No difference. I prefer Azureus to be honest. Couldn't get on with Transmission at all.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
wrightm

so I got that transmission going and working on getting azurus.....then what? Is there a tutorial on what to do next? It's like I drag something into there. I know it's a stupid question, but I'm honestly clueless on this one.
QUOTE Thanks
eddielee

eddielee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4

I use uTorrent, but Azurus is great too. Don't really recommend transmission tho.

This bit unfortunately we can't help you with as it would be perceived that we were telling you directly where to get things. But look at recent news articles and a few googles for 'torrent files' and im sure you will find something.

Thanks, Eddie
Software Engineering Student, NTU
QUOTE Thanks
dengoR

dengoR is on a distinguished road

Azureus is now called Vuze. Check it out...very nice design
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

I have used a few of them, Vuze is nice. If your not adverse to spending a few bucks, XTorrent is decent as well. It's the same guy that developed the Inquisitor plugin for Safari.

One nice thing about XTorrent is that it's written for the Mac, versus Vuze which is a general BitTorrent designed to run on multiple platforms (ie written in Java). A a result, the UI is more in line with the general OSX look and feel.

Xtorrent (for Mac OS X)
QUOTE Thanks
spring

spring is on a distinguished road

yes vuze is nice but not always finds what you are looking especially for Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry about the blogspam, but I wrote an extensive comparison a few weeks ago:
OS X Bittorrent clients compared - 2009 Edition

For me personally the winner is Transmission...
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring View Post
yes vuze is nice but not always finds what you are looking especially for Mac.

The trick there is not to use it to search, use google.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
andypham

andypham is on a distinguished road

Vuze if the best. Try it!
QUOTE Thanks
spring

spring is on a distinguished road

si there any chance you could explain this to me by pm please? i like it but is so many things that i cannot find especially for mac. how do we search in google and how it connects with vuze?
QUOTE Thanks
jneb802

jneb802 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano

i dont understand why we can discuss torrenting but we cant discuss dvd ripping
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneb802 View Post
i dont understand why we can discuss torrenting but we cant discuss dvd ripping
I use bittorrent heavily, but exclusively for legal software and music downloads.

There's nothing illegal about bittorrent technology.
DVD ripping as a concept however, is basically illegal in the US.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playing around with automater | Mac & PC compatible mailing label software? »