New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Should i download Skype

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

solidstalin

solidstalin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5

It looks quite good, does it work well? should i get it?
QUOTE Thanks
General_K

Yes, and yes. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

sure, Skype is ace!
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

I like Skype

And if you have a PocketPC (a recent one anyways) make sure you try out Skype for the PocketPC, it is just as sweet.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I would love to use Skype. But I have nobody want to talk to. That's why I don't bother with cell phones either. I like to type more than talk. With talking, you get that awkward dead silence that you don't know whether to say good-bye to a person or wait for them to say something. I hate, when that happens.
QUOTE Thanks
solidstalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat
I would love to use Skype. But I have nobody want to talk to. That's why I don't bother with cell phones either. I like to type more than talk. With talking, you get that awkward dead silence that you don't know whether to say good-bye to a person or wait for them to say something. I hate, when that happens.
Il talk to you
QUOTE Thanks
kingcrowing2

i'm down with iwhat! but what is skype??? is it like a voice chat thing?
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

Skype is a free voice chat program, it's like free telephone calls but between computers. You can call to regular phones as well but you have to pay to do that.

I have it but nobody to talk to. It'd be good if I could get my family interested in it though.

QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

I use Skype to talk to family and friends. Turn out to be significantly cheaper than phone calls.
QUOTE Thanks
solidstalin

Hmmmm... i really want to call phones but dont want to pay.....
QUOTE Thanks
Lasha

I have Skype and I've been using it for quite some time now. I speak to friends and family all over the world. Israel, Australia, etc. The sound quality is absolutely amazing! It really is as good, and sometimes even better than a telephone's quality, as the Skype website states. Get it. You'll like it.
QUOTE Thanks
mistrijah

mistrijah is on a distinguished road

i pay £2 a month and call uk landlines for free on Skype,
no more big phone bills,
iys excellent...!
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Skype is really a great service. At home, I believe that I pay a total of $30 a year for unlimited local and long distance calling with a real telephone number and voicemail. This is a super deal considering the price of a normal land line ($25~ a month in my area).

Here in Iraq, it makes for a very cheap way to stay in touch with people at home as compared to AT&T calling cards which are far more expensive.

One last push!
QUOTE Thanks
Zalaton

Zalaton is on a distinguished road

I use Skype to talk to family and old high school friends who I want to stay in touch with. It is awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Skype seems like a good deal, though I remember it not having the best quality for calls not too long ago. Hopefully this has changed ? My wife would like to talk to her family who lives in Hungary, so I downloaded it yesterday and plan on using it over the weekend to see what the deal is with video chat over such a long distance. If it proves to be good, perhaps we'll pay for the call service too.

The interface is nice and clean and seems easy to use. Do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac software: need help to restore iPod library to deleted iTunes | question about firefox »