New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

how can I keep safari from auto completing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zseese

zseese is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4

ok, lets see if i can word this right. I am trying to figure out how to keep safari from auto completing when i am typing into the address bar. i want to get rid of the list of previously viewed sites from pulling down when i start typing an address. any suggestions?

Yup, Yup, Yup, Mm-Hmm
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zseese View Post
ok, lets see if i can word this right. I am trying to figure out how to keep safari from auto completing when i am typing into the address bar. i want to get rid of the list of previously viewed sites from pulling down when i start typing an address. any suggestions?
You should be able to disable Autofill in the preferences.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
zseese

Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4

i have auto fill set to only remember user names and passwords and no other forms, which shouldnt affect the address bar i dont think

Yup, Yup, Yup, Mm-Hmm
QUOTE Thanks
MorganaVPetrit

MorganaVPetrit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.2 GHZ, 4 GB ram, 120 GB HD

Weird thing - only mildly relevant - my youtube account is permanently signed into a friend's computer for some unknown reason. Even when he sent it in and got a new logic board - everytime he visits youtube my account is logged in..... strange

Did you try resetting Safari and emptying your cache ?
QUOTE Thanks
Zero

Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz, Macbook 2.2ghz, eMac G4 1.07ghz, PowerMac G4 Digital Audio.

I don't think you can...BUT, if you type a space before you type in the web address, that will not bring up the list and just hit enter, and it'll go to the website
QUOTE Thanks
zseese

yeah, i have emptied the cache and reset safari to no avail, the space before the address idea is a good temporary fix, but i wish there was a way to do this, kinda aggravating, thanks for your responses

Yup, Yup, Yup, Mm-Hmm
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganaVPetrit View Post
Weird thing - only mildly relevant - my youtube account is permanently signed into a friend's computer for some unknown reason. Even when he sent it in and got a new logic board - everytime he visits youtube my account is logged in..... strange

Did you try resetting Safari and emptying your cache ?
Replacing the hardware doesn't change software settings. If your friend clears out his cookies, you won't be signed in on his computer anymore.

I just realized that I misread the OP's question. I don't think you can disable URL auto-complete without some sort of Safari tweaking program, but you can clear or limit your history so less things show up.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Want to run Vanguard | Internet Explorer for OSX? »