New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Other - iTunes Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jefe3223

I need a little help. Here's the overall deal: I can't open my itunes. It says iTunes can't be open, there isn't enough memory. Well I took a look at my handy-dandy activity monitor and it says there's at least half it's cpu memory available (i think there should be more but I'll focus on one problem at a time). So I don't know what to do. I'd really like some suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Can't open.jpg (26.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CPU.jpg (197.3 KB, 8 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

mac specs? os version? have you tried restarting your mac? how much hd space is left?
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
mac specs? os version? have you tried restarting your mac? how much hd space is left?
ibook, os 10.3.4, 1.2GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB memory. I've restarted and shutdown my comp. I have a 55.76GB hardrive, with 21.04 being used, and 34.72GB available. I have itunes version 4.7.1.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

have you tried repairing permissions or resetting your pram? to reset pram, shut down your mac, while starting up, hold downcommand+option+P+R until you hear the chime 3 times, then release the keys and let it finish starting up.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Quote:
have you tried repairing permissions or resetting your pram? to reset pram, shut down your mac, while starting up, hold downcommand+option+P+R until you hear the chime 3 times, then release the keys and let it finish starting up.
I tried repairing permissions earlier, and that didn't work. I was hopeful with the prams, though...but that didn't work either. :-(
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Go to

<your username>/Library/Preferences and delete all the preferences that say iTunes in them

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

in that case, I suggest deleting itunes preferences, its here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>com.apple.iTunes.plis t(delete this file, restart.
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Quote:
in that case, I suggest deleting itunes preferences, its here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>com.apple.iTunes.plis t(delete this file, restart.
Did that, answered the questions, and BAM! got that message again. Bah.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

try reinstalling itunes, use pacifist to extract it from the panther install discs and install it so you doont have to do the whole os.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

have you tried downloading the latest Itunes and reinstalling it? Sounds like you have covered everything else. Do all your other Applications work? All other IApps?
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

i used pacifist (for the first time, mind you) and did the verify thing. That said there were things missing etc. It still doesn't work. SO, before I replace the whole thing, I just wanted to make sure if there's a way I don't lose all my music.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You can erase everything associated with iTunes except for the Music Library and everything will stay intact. Just open up a finder window and in the search bar type in iTunes. Delete everything except for the Music Library and try reinstalling

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

Wow, was that a long arduous process. Thanks for all of your help (especially Macman: thanks for all your help and timely responce). I need to go through and put music back on itunes, but other than that, everything works great now. Have a good night. -JJ
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

cool. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie & iDVD | Games on a powerbook G4 »