New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How would you stop Mac from automatically unzipping files?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NewsAndHistory

NewsAndHistory is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2GHz PowerPC G5 512mb RAM

I use Mac Tiger 10.4.11 When I download .Zip files, they are automatically unzipped by whichever program I have set as my default "(de)compression-program" on Mac.

Please tell me what I should do to stop my .Zip files from automatically being unzipped immediately after I download them.

Seek the truth.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I assume you're using Safari.

Go to Safari > Preferences > General and uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading"

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
NewsAndHistory

Thanks for helping me & others. I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my default web-browser. I was instructed to select "Preferences" in the Firefox-menu, and look in the "Applications" section of the Preferences wizard, however .ZIP isn't listed in that section.

So what is causing my Mac to automatically Unzip files without my permission?

Here's a screenshot, which shows that ".Zip" is not listed in that "Applications-window":

Seek the truth.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

edit: deleted

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

It's in Applications but you are looking the wrong place. Check my picture. It's called PC Zip Archive.

There is another setting there for DMG's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (124.9 KB, 21 views)
QUOTE Thanks
NewsAndHistory

Thank all of you for your messages. I'm using Mac Tiger 10.4.11. That probably explains why your "Content Type-section" (listed in your Firefox "Application dialog-box") shows "PC ZIP" and mine doesn't do so.

If you look at my screenshot, any of you would see that I was looking in the correct location (under "Content Type"). You'd also notice all of the file-types are listed in alphabetical-order. I scrolled down so you could see I was in the right section.

I'm not downloading ZIP files with Safari. So Firefox is the only other application (besides Stuffit-Expander) that could be automatically causing my Mac to unzip ZIP files, right?

Seek the truth.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

PC Zip archive would not be on the screen shot you posted. It would be alphabetically prior to anything on that screen.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
PC Zip archive would not be on the screen shot you posted. It would be alphabetically prior to anything on that screen.

Also you made a suggestion and it's being totally ignored. I was going to post the same thing as you Bob till I found those settings in Firefox.

There is no Leopard version of Firefox. There is one firefox. Try what Bobtomay suggested. It MAY very well be a system wide setting on 10.4.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Perhaps just using a different archiver will solve your problem. I use BetterZip. Instead of immediately extracting the file, it will instead show the contents and let you pick and choose what (if anything) you'd like to extract.

MacItBetter | Compress zip and tar archives on your Mac with BetterZip.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsAndHistory View Post
If you look at my screenshot, any of you would see that I was looking in the correct location (under "Content Type"). You'd also notice all of the file-types are listed in alphabetical-order. I scrolled down so you could see I was in the right section.
If you are still having trouble in spite of the other responses, please post multiple screenshots of that Applications setting in Firefox so we can see ALL of your file types listed. You may simply be overlooking something.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mirkit1

mirkit1 is on a distinguished road

On a quite similar note, can any of you tell me how I can make my Mac stop auto extracting the zip files into temporary folders? It's really annoying, and because I download Custom Content for games such as the Sims 3, I have to empty my Trash really frequently, because those little tmp folders take up too much space and crowd my Trash up. Any advice? Apple - Support was useless unless you're a programmer, and I'm not that technically savvy. Is there an easier way to do it, or am I going to have to take Programming courses?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If a browser is set to open content, it may save it to a temp folder and decompress there. That's the trade off you get for having the convenience of automatic file opening. Why not just download the files, save them to a directory you can easily access (such as Downloads) and decompress them there?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mirkit1

mirkit1 is on a distinguished road

You're smart. I'll do that. Although it seems to trade off; sometimes it does it, sometimes it just saves it straight to the Downloads folder. But your suggestion is better. Thanks for the suggestion!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Serious question - Shell for OSX | How to unzip corrupted/invalid folder - help? »