Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Photoshop

  1. #1
    bsatchmo
    Guest
    Photoshop
    Is there a way to get Photoshop for less then the 600$ price they have it for, I have the windows version but I can't get it on my Powerbook and I don't wanna dish out even more money for a new copy of it. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Buzz_Novia
    Guest
    I suppose you could opt for PhotoShop Elements. I think it was recently updated to version 3?

  3. #3
    bsatchmo
    Guest
    im going to try it out see if its decent and if i like it it may be a cheap way to hold off till i get a job so i can buy CS

  4. #4
    Buzz_Novia
    Guest
    It might also be an idea to check out GraphicConverter. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can also do some simple editing stuff with it.

  5. #5

    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Groves, Texas
    Posts
    4,410
    Specs:
    13in macbook - 10.11 --- 21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 8
    There's always Gimp. It's free, runs on X11, very similar to Photoshop.
    Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it!
    -Lazarus Long

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Apr 25, 2003
    Location
    The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Posts
    1,301
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Quote Originally Posted by bsatchmo
    Is there a way to get Photoshop for less then the 600$ price they have it for, I have the windows version but I can't get it on my Powerbook and I don't wanna dish out even more money for a new copy of it. Any suggestions?
    If you have the full version it should have both the PC and Mac versions on the disk, unless of course you actually mean "any" instead of "more".

    Amen-Moses

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Apr 25, 2003
    Location
    The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Posts
    1,301
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Novia
    I suppose you could opt for PhotoShop Elements. I think it was recently updated to version 3?
    Elements 2 was PC & Mac (I know that as I have a copy) but from the ads' it appears the newer versions are either/or. Strangely the Mac version is advertised at about a tenner less than the PC version.

    One of the PC magazines has a free copy of version 3 on it this month so they must be up to version 4 by now.

    Amen-Moses

  8. #8
    SogniX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
    If you have the full version it should have both the PC and Mac versions on the disk, unless of course you actually mean "any" instead of "more".

    Amen-Moses
    Since when?
    I have an entire adobe suite which includes Photoshop 7 for Mac... No Windows version on the CDs anywhere.

    And I have an Acrobat CD for Windows - no Mac version.

    Am I missing something? Do the new CS versions have both versions Mac and Windows versions on the same CD??? (two for the price of one???)

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Apr 25, 2003
    Location
    The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
    Posts
    1,301
    Specs:
    24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogni
    Since when?
    I have an entire adobe suite which includes Photoshop 7 for Mac... No Windows version on the CDs anywhere.

    And I have an Acrobat CD for Windows - no Mac version.

    Am I missing something? Do the new CS versions have both versions Mac and Windows versions on the same CD??? (two for the price of one???)
    I only have one CD for Elements and it has both versions on. Maybe this is a Europe thing, i.e maybe they sell them together here for some reason but sell them separately in the US?

    Either that or maybe it's the difference with the suite as opposed to the stand alone version of Photoshop but down in my local PC World there is only one Photoshop Box on the shelf and it says PC or Mac so I always assumed it had both versions in the box.

    Was your suite bundled with a machine or bought retail?

    Amen-Moses

  10. #10
    SogniX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Amen-Moses
    I only have one CD for Elements and it has both versions on. Maybe this is a Europe thing, i.e maybe they sell them together here for some reason but sell them separately in the US?

    Either that or maybe it's the difference with the suite as opposed to the stand alone version of Photoshop but down in my local PC World there is only one Photoshop Box on the shelf and it says PC or Mac so I always assumed it had both versions in the box.

    Was your suite bundled with a machine or bought retail?

    Amen-Moses
    I think I jave seen Elements come as PC and Mac in one box...

    But I've never seen Photoshop and others.
    Mine was not a bundle.
    I also have two Acrobat boxes, one specifically says "Macintosh" and the other says "Windows".

    Also all Photoshop boxes I've seen in local stores are either Windows or Mac. Not both.

    Such as this one at CompUSA. Under Platform and Requirements - all it says is PC/Windows. Not Mac.

    I WISH they would have both versions in one box!

  11. #11
    vtupser
    Guest
    Become friends with a student in college or K-12. They get education discounts and can get the whole Creative Suite for about $300-$400

  12. #12

    rberry88's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2004
    Location
    Arlington Heights, IL USA
    Posts
    476
    Specs:
    17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
    Photoshop Elements 3 (just released in Oct/Nov '04 so no new version soon) comes either in Mac or Windows not both. While the case doesn't specify which version it is, if you look at the install CD itself, it will clearly say Macintosh or Windows.

    Photoshop CS (8.0) - This is a little tricky, I have the Macintosh only version that I bought from school for $499 USD and has only the Mac version on it. My brother bought CS from Adobe directly (~$399 upgrade) and his has both versions on the same disc but it will not let you install both versions. He installed the Windows version and then tried to install the Mac version on my parents eMac and it was like the Mac version wasn't even there anymore even though you could see when searching the disc.

    I think your best bet is to call Adobe and if you purchased a prior version (Mac or Windows) they should let you upgrade for less than what the new version would cost.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.

  13. #13

    deus_ex_machina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 06, 2004
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,713
    Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by rberry88
    Photoshop Elements 3 (just released in Oct/Nov '04 so no new version soon) comes either in Mac or Windows not both. While the case doesn't specify which version it is, if you look at the install CD itself, it will clearly say Macintosh or Windows.

    Photoshop CS (8.0) - This is a little tricky, I have the Macintosh only version that I bought from school for $499 USD and has only the Mac version on it. My brother bought CS from Adobe directly (~$399 upgrade) and his has both versions on the same disc but it will not let you install both versions. He installed the Windows version and then tried to install the Mac version on my parents eMac and it was like the Mac version wasn't even there anymore even though you could see when searching the disc.

    I think your best bet is to call Adobe and if you purchased a prior version (Mac or Windows) they should let you upgrade for less than what the new version would cost.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Did you brother try to install with serial from his Wndows install? Adobe products call home

  14. #14

    rberry88's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 24, 2004
    Location
    Arlington Heights, IL USA
    Posts
    476
    Specs:
    17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
    Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    Did you brother try to install with serial from his Wndows install? Adobe products call home
    It wouldn't even let him get to the installation, it was like the Mac version was missing from the CD after the Windows version was installed. We tried just pulling the program off the CD and into the Applications folder to see if it would start up and then ask for a serial number but it kept complaining about original files missing so we just gave up and bought our parents Photoshop Elements 3, which I guess was for the best.
    Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.

  15. #15
    Ey3 D
    Guest
    Or you could just move to Chicago, take a class at the Art Institute that uses computers and get the whole Suite for 200$!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How do I make an older Photoshop my default Photoshop?
    By Nevstan in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM
  2. Photoshop and Aperture, or just Photoshop?
    By Sennec in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM
  3. Photoshop Elements 4 Mac Vs Photoshop CS2 PC
    By TenderSurrender in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2007, 05:42 AM
  4. Photoshop Q?
    By Andy_M in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2006, 01:56 PM
  5. photoshop 7
    By mustardradio in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •