New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Itunes won't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stuartpike

stuartpike is on a distinguished road

My Itunes won't open. It has been fine, but just today - no go. In the past, it would open when I synced my ipod, or when I clicked on the icon in the tray. My datebook and things do seem to be syncing, but no itunes window opens. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Try this:

open Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type the following in:
Code:
cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/
./iTunes
See if it opens. If not, at least you'll get an error message.
QUOTE Thanks
stuartpike

Hi vansmith
I tried it. It didn't open and this is what I got (I tried it a couple of times.)Last login: Wed Feb 18 13:01:16 on console
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/
administrators-macbook-pro-5:MacOS stuart$ ./iTunes
administrators-macbook-pro-5:MacOS stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/
administrators-macbook-pro-5:MacOS stuart$ ./iTunes
QUOTE Thanks
stuartpike

I tried it again and this is what I got:Last login: Wed Feb 18 15:39:00 on console
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes
-bash: cd: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes: Not a directory
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$
Does that mean anything?
thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartpike View Post
administrators-macbook-pro-5:~ stuart$ cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes
-bash: cd: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/./iTunes: Not a directory
That command is wrong, hence the "not a directory" error.

From your first attempt, nothing appears to be wrong. Is there a glowing blue dot under iTunes in the dock? It could just be hidden.

Right click the icon and choose "Show".
QUOTE Thanks
stuartpike

Yes, there is a glowing blue dot, but when I control click on the icon "Show" isn't an option - "Hide" is there or else "Show in Finder."
QUOTE Thanks
stuartpike

I just noticed that it pops up when I hit F3, but as soon as I click on it, it appears to hide *under the dock* - weird.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Can you not just move it out from under the dock?
QUOTE Thanks
stuartpike

nope, I can't get at it. It rapidly goes under the dock and disappears. It's really bizzare. The only way I can see it at all is to press F3 and then the next time I click on anything, it slides away again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« entourage received email times wrong | Trouble with iChat and Airport »