name in use
    Question Need apps for osx 10.1.5
    A lady in our church recently brought in her iMac to help out in the office, problem is she has no apps. I need a word processor, firewall, virus scanner, and a calander would be a bonus. Total Mac newb.
    Thanks

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    Umm...When you say she has no apps you mean she doesn't have the listed apps right? Becase if there are no apps....well...You've got other problems

Anyway, firewall, virus scanner, and a calendar are all built in to Mac OS X...(I only have experience with 10.3, but I'm pretty sure its all there). The firewall is built into the sharing pane of the system preferences, simply turn it on. Virus Scanner is not needed since Mac Os X has no viruses/spyware

Calendar would be iCal - included

Word Processor - If you are looking for something REAL simple, text editor will do, but I suggest iWork from Apple.

Thats about it!

name in use
    Smile I'll be more specific
    Sorry I didn't quite make myself clear.
    She has the basic apps included with the system yes, but no iCal on 10.1. For word processing I need something free and MS word compatible, checked openoffice and abiword both require 10.2.
    As for firewall, in system prefs I have the option to turn on or off sharing, ftp connections, etc. it doesn't explicitly mention firewall so do I need one or not.
    Thanks.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by name in use
    Sorry I didn't quite make myself clear.
    She has the basic apps included with the system yes, but no iCal on 10.1. For word processing I need something free and MS word compatible, checked openoffice and abiword both require 10.2.
    As for firewall, in system prefs I have the option to turn on or off sharing, ftp connections, etc. it doesn't explicitly mention firewall so do I need one or not.
    Thanks.
    Does it by chance have Apple Works? If so there is a word compatable word processor there.

I have never used 10.1, but check in your system preferences under the shairing icon. There maybe a Firewall switch there like in 10.3 where you can turn it on. If not I have no idea.

name in use
    Nope, No Apple Works, No Firewall switch

name in use
    Verified, No firewall
    I phoned a local computer store and he verified that there is no firewall on 10.1.5, it was introduced in 10.2. Now I just have to hope anyone ever reads this thread again. (hope, hope, hope, hope...)

OS X has always had a firewall, even the beta version of OSX had one. Its in System Preferences - Sharing under the tab 'firewall' . Download lots of other Apps from www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com

name in use
    Wink
    In System Preferences - Sharing I have 2 tabs "File & Web" and "Application".
    In "File & Web" I can turn on file sharing, turn on web sharing, allow ftp access, set the computers name, and can access the network preferences (my IP adress is displayed with a button labeled "edit" which leads to network preferences")
    In "Application" I can allow remote login, or allow remote Apple events (under which I can allow OS9 computers to use remote Apple events, and set password) and again I have My computers name and IP address.
    Thanx

Thread Information