New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Missing Textedit...i think it got deleted :S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

velaquin

velaquin will become famous soon enough

My sister used my macbook today and thought she could erase evidence that she used it by deleting all "search for TODAY" programs in finder i.e. the programs she used on that day. She ended up deleting my firefox and messenger which i was able to replace but she also deleted my text edit...what do i do?? should i restore?

if i do restore will i loose everything on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can't just "restore" Text Edit without having to re-install all included applications with OS X. A real pain. However, all is not lost. You can use "Pacifist" from CharlesSoft to extract Text Edit from the original media and re-install just it.

Pacifist

Here's another option: Since Pacifist is shareware ($) you might wish to download a free text editor and install it instead of the included Text Edit.

"Smultron" is free and is a very powerful text editor. I use it in place of Text Edit. Download it from here.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Bean is also a very good text editor, much better if you ask me.

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlil88 View Post
Bean is also a very good text editor, much better if you ask me.
Bean is actually a word processor but you're right, it can also be used as a text editor. BTW, I like Bean simply because it can save documents as *.doc by setting it as the default. Very convenient.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
velaquin

velaquin will become famous soon enough

im a pretty patient person so I don't mind re-installing the apps as i dont know if she might have deleted anything else (she denies deleting my apps when I knw very well she did)...but would I loose my other apps e.g. appzapper, screenium, toast...???

Also...is there an app that let's me see a log of my computers activities...i think that would be a useful tool in the future.

Thanks in advanced!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by velaquin View Post
im a pretty patient person so I don't mind re-installing the apps as i dont know if she might have deleted anything else (she denies deleting my apps when I knw very well she did)...but would I loose my other apps e.g. appzapper, screenium, toast...???

Also...is there an app that let's me see a log of my computers activities...i think that would be a useful tool in the future.

Thanks in advanced!
You don't want to reinstall all your applications because that would additionally require having to reinstall all updates again. Just follow what I originally replied to you, that's the easiest way.

As for a log of computer activity, the answer is yes. Double click on the following file: /var/log/system.log

The log file will open and you can read it as plain text.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
jad1287

jad1287 is on a distinguished road

So the same thing happened to me, Text Edit got deleted on my computer. I liked it and want it back but it's been completely erased from my computer. How do I go about re-installing it? I didn't quite understand the first post?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

That's one smart sister you got there.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer Driver Problems | Convert Vob to avi »