New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Internet - Safari vs Omniweb, Firefox etc.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gtee

Can someone who has used Omniweb, Firefox, Opera on Mac please give some pros and cons re using one over the other.
Thank you [new user].
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

The one con that I have about Firefox; it does not handle flash all that great. I like to play the flash games, so that's why. I'll go to Safari or Camino for flash content. One pro that comes to mind about Firefox, there are too many great extensions. I can't comment on Safari and Omiweb, because I am to acquainted with Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

omniweb and firefox are great, a con for firefox is that it doesnt auto login to things like safari does, and it asks for my password every single time I open the app, it says a password is required to use it, but I havent enabled any sort of security.
a pro of firefox is plug ins, like the g-mail plugin, it checks for me and displays it at the bottom of the window. omniwebs tabbed browsing is superior to all browsers to date, another pro of omniweb is you can save workspaces, like in photoshop, a con of omniweb is it is sorta a processor hog.
QUOTE Thanks
SogniX

Omniweb Cons:
- Omniweb costs $ :p
- Does not handle inline WMA video very well, it'd randomly crash. At least for me.
- Resource Hog. It'll bring my PowerBook to it's knees if I have a lot of tabs open.

Macman : Sounds like you have a permissions problem. Firefox never asks me for a password.
QUOTE Thanks
SogniX

Oh BTW, I LOVE OmniWeb... I refuse to use any other browser cuz they just can't come close.

Firefox has no spellchecking - Omniweb does
Firefox uses it's own password management - Omniweb uses Keychain
I can block any content I wish to in Omniweb - either per site, or file types. I disable Flash by default - but am able to click to activate them if I want them.
Cookie management is a MUST for me (Safari loses out big time one this for me).
QUOTE Thanks
PBG4MAN

PBG4MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM20" iMac: 2.16 gHZ; 1GB RAM; 250 Gigz

I have used Safari, Firefox and Opera. Opera gets my lowest rating: doesn't look so great, and its too cluttered for me. fFirefox: Slow startup on my PowerBook and its not great with saving logins for sites. I use Safari more than any other, and I love it. The tabbed browsing is great and I ahve very few problems overall. Some sites don't recognize it because its not like IE or Netscape, so that whe Firefox comes in handy. I once read a blog where the guy did an unscientific study on the comperable speeds: Safari was fastest overall then Camino then Firefox...

:mac: Don't forget to think. Differently. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
gtee

Thank you to all who have provided such a detailed - and prompt - reply. They are very helpful.

Gary
QUOTE Thanks
nbn22385

Don't forget about Camino. I have used Safari, Firefox, OmniWeb, Mozilla, Shiira, and Camino. I have a little complaint about each browser except for Camino. I have been using it as my default for a couple months now.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes | saving in illustrator... »