New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Internet - NewsFire 0.62/0.61

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

meltbanana314

Does anybody know where I can find an older version of NewsFire (preferably 0.62 or 0.61) that doesn't have the nagging registration screen?

I tried both Versiontracker and MacUpdate, but only 1.0 is available for download.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

go to versiontracker, where you see the version, its a drop down window, click it and select desired version:http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...9998&mode=info.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
go to versiontracker, where you see the version, its a drop down window, click it and select desired version:http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...9998&mode=info.
Tried that. When I click the download link it sends me to the NewsFire homepage...

EDIT: and now Wiretap costs money as well. I should have switched sooner...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Any specific reason you want Newsfire? NetNewsWire and Pulp Fiction both have free versions that are superior. Not to mention the developer of Newsfire is a pyscho who doesn't respond well to constructive feedback.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I use netnewswire, I lovve it. I have spoken to and often still do talk to people from ranchero software. I guess it depends on who you talk to or who you know.
theres a free version of netnewswire? I have the pro/paid for version.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
Any specific reason you want Newsfire? NetNewsWire and Pulp Fiction both have free versions that are superior. Not to mention the developer of Newsfire is a pyscho who doesn't respond well to constructive feedback.
Superior is completely subjective. I like the interface of NewsFire better. I'm using NetNewsWire Lite at the moment, which I feel neutral about but I totally dislike the look of PulpFiction Lite.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Superior is not subjective. Both NetNewsWire and Pulp Fiction have a more mature and bug free RSS and ATOM rendering engine. That alone makes them better. Not to mention that they have polite and responsive devs unlike the Newsfire dev.

For the cost of Newsfire you could pretty much buy the full versions of either of the other pieces of software that are more mature, stable, and full featured. Not to mention, I doubt Porfiry will continue with Newsfire after his next inevitable drama fit when someone says something negative about it. Notice his support forums have been down for months, mainly because he couldn't deal with the feedback

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Found an older copy of NewsFire off a small FTP site in Australia, and it prompted me to go download (and buy) version 1.0. I give up. NetNewsWire Lite is better...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't download buddy icons for ichat 2.1 | MacMail: How to get rid of old smtp names? »