New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Call of Duty 4 on the 2.0GHz Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Will H

Will H is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
I had a quick search but didn't find an answer that exactly matches my question so thought I'd start a new thread.

I recently got a new Macbook 2.0GHz for Christmas and while I'm not really that into games anymore I thought it might be nice to have one for when I need distracting from university work. Call of Duty 4 looks great and FPS are my thing so thought I'd go for that.

My question is how will the game run (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Apple Store (U.K.)) on my Macbook (the 2.0GHz one here - MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.). I don't really fancy delving into Boot Camp as this is the only thing I'll use it for.

I'm not fussed about having the most spectacular graphics available, just so long as the game is playable and enjoyable. That is, I can see who I'm shooting and it's not lagging so much that I'm a second behind everyone else.

If you don't think it'll be worth the money then I'll stick with Civilization, an old favorite.

Thanks for any help in advance

Will
QUOTE Thanks
twestman

twestman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will H View Post
Hi all,
I had a quick search but didn't find an answer that exactly matches my question so thought I'd start a new thread.

I recently got a new Macbook 2.0GHz for Christmas and while I'm not really that into games anymore I thought it might be nice to have one for when I need distracting from university work. Call of Duty 4 looks great and FPS are my thing so thought I'd go for that.

My question is how will the game run (Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Apple Store (U.K.)) on my Macbook (the 2.0GHz one here - MacBook - Apple Store (U.K.). I don't really fancy delving into Boot Camp as this is the only thing I'll use it for.

I'm not fussed about having the most spectacular graphics available, just so long as the game is playable and enjoyable. That is, I can see who I'm shooting and it's not lagging so much that I'm a second behind everyone else.

If you don't think it'll be worth the money then I'll stick with Civilization, an old favorite.

Thanks for any help in advance

Will

I run COD4 with my MacBook Pro (2.33 GHz, 256MB ATI X1600, 2GB DDR2) and it runs perfectly fine at medium-high graphics. All textures on "extra" and antialiasing on 2x. You'll just need to tweak a few things here and there to get the best performance out of it.
QUOTE Thanks
Will H

Cheers fella, I reckon I'll go for it. It won't be optimal but it should be a fun to play.

Any other info I should know from anyone else with the same setup who has tried running the game before I buy?
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

No, don't do it. Twestman says he has a MacBook Pro. He has a dedicated graphics processor. Your MacBook doesn't. It has an integrated graphics processor and it won't run CoD 4 well at all. It might not even start on that computer.

Don't get it. See if you can download the demo, if there is one.
QUOTE Thanks
Will H

Good idea, cheers for the info
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Apple Store (U.S.)
check that out

I run on on my MacBook Pro, but on the Integrated nvidia 9400 chip on full detail (ok I'm guessing the system doesn't switch cards on the fly?) and it's absolutely smooth

pls some1 correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the power setting set to Battery Performace, which activates the Integrated chip, so if I wanted to use my 9600 I'd have to log out .... with the battery perf. setting I run CoD4 realy smooth

ok I got more ram and a slightly better proc, but if you have the 9400, then you should be fine ... you can always return the game anyway )
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
you can always return the game anyway
You sure about that? I don't think most places let you return software.

Anyway, I guess the 9400M might be able to run it, but you'll have to use the lowest possible settings and even then it might run kind of badly. On the other hand, BareFeats did some benchmarks that show the 9400M-equipped MacBook getting 20-30 fps in several fairly recent shooters, which is not great, but it is playable. My concern is that COD4 is more demanding than those others.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I (and several others here) have run CoD4 on the aluminum MacBook (non pro) just fine.

It plays really well on medium settings with only the slightest hint of slowdown during some situations.

I encourage you to check out the unofficial MacBook gaming thread for more details and videos!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...models-13.html
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I (and several others here) have run CoD4 on the aluminum MacBook (non pro) just fine.

It plays really well on medium settings with only the slightest hint of slowdown during some situations.

I encourage you to check out the unofficial MacBook gaming thread for more details and videos!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...models-13.html
Ah, good to know. I was looking all over the place for COD4 benchmarks with the 9400M and couldn't find anything.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

I have actually once returned a game that didn't work for me guess I was lucky ... I think it was Ghost Master come to think of it, I can't remember the reason though, maybe a bad disk ..

it would sound about right that you can't return opened software, yer
QUOTE Thanks
Will H

Cheers for the info. I thought I'd chance it and have ordered the game. If it doesn't work quite right then I can always stick it on ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
Will H

Installed and played last night. Great game! Runs better than I expected on this system. Graphics aren't anything like they could be but are not on the lowest settings either. Tiny bits of slow down when things get really busy but 99% of the time it runs very smoothly and any slowdown that does occur is short lived and not monumental.

Cheers for all the help.
QUOTE Thanks
conortist

conortist is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: none yet, but hoping for Al MB 2.0GHz

what about multiplayer online? does that work smoothly? One more positive feedback about COD4 and I'm on play.com buying it right now (32.99)!

Also, thinking about getting an adaptor which connects my ps2 controller into the usb slot of the mac. Has anyone done this/recommend this? The adaptor can be found below:

MY-Link PS2 PS controller to PC USB CONVERTOR ADAPTER: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Multiplayer online is always more demanding than single player offline. I'd recommend turning your settings down a bit lower (if you have the ability to) for online.

Also I'm not sure why you'd want to use a controller for CoD 4 when you have a keyboard and mouse. Maybe for other games. I don't have any experience using game controllers on a Mac, though, so I can't comment on if it'll work or not.
QUOTE Thanks
revel

revel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

I play COD4 with the integrated x3100, lol. It runs well [muliplayer online], but it's on extremely low graphics settings as you can expect.

It runs; therefore, I am happy.

Proud Macbook owner.
I revel in it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Office: Mac - Installation Problem | Updating firmware to satellite reciever from Mac via serial port rs 232? »