New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to block applications from accessing the internet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flea620

flea620 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for an application or way that can block applications from accessing the internet. I've heard of Little Snitch. But I was wondering if there are any free alternatives since that's that only thing I really want to do. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Do you want to just block access to the internet or stop a user using certain applications

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
flea620

I just want to stop an application from accessing the internet. I usually just do this on my pc firewall. but im not sure about doing it on mac.
newly converted. ;-]
QUOTE Thanks
dbnoise

dbnoise will become famous soon enough

Try little snitch
QUOTE Thanks
flea620

I did try little snitch. but honestly i have no idea how to use it. and it asks me about every little thing and brings notifications about everything. All I want to do is block ONE application from accessing the internet. That's all.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The firewall in Leopard has an application mode.

Seriously, though...if an application is misbehaving, just delete it. It's not worth fighting.
QUOTE Thanks
thatotherguy

thatotherguy is on a distinguished road

You can use sandbox-exec to block an application from accessing the net.

First create a sandbox profile that blocks net access. This is just a file which will contain something like

Code:
(version 1)
(allow default)
(block network*)
If you look in /usr/share/sandbox there are some profiles you can look at if you want to figure out anything fancier.

Then you run the application using sandbox-exec and passing in the profile you just created i.e
Code:
sandbox-exec -f nonet.sb application-binary
Where nonet.sb is the name of the file you created above and application-binary is the path to the executable you want to run (If the app is in an app bundle you'll have to hunt out the actual binary in the bundles MacOS directory).
QUOTE Thanks
the_fox

the_fox is on a distinguished road

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

Click Security.

Click the Firewall tab.

Choose the third mode:
3. Set access for specific services and applications

You can click the "+" button to add an application to this list. You can select an application and click the "-" button to remove it. Control-clicking on the application name gives you the option to reveal the application's location in Finder.

Once you've added an application to the list, you can choose whether to allow or deny incoming connections for that application. You can even add command line applications to this list.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office '08 disc broke. Options? | NES emulator enhancer »