New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Open Office Calc question: do date ranges actually exist?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sid777

sid777 is on a distinguished road

I am at a loss as to how to perform a (seemingly) simple function in OpenOffice Calc.
I have a column containing sequential dates through the year, and in the next column, in every seven cells, I would like to have a date range of the previous week listed. Does this make sense? (I've written & rewritten & rewritten AGAIN this question, and it still seems confusing.

For example:

Column A has descending days of the week listed:
Sun = cell A1
Mon = cell A2
Tues = cell A3
Wed = cell A4
Thurs = cell A5
Fri = cell A6
Sat = cell A7
(etc...)

Column B has descending dates for the whole year:
01/01/09 = cell B1
01/02/09 = cell B2
01/03/09 = cell B3
01/04/09 = cell B4
01/05/09 = cell B5
01/06/09 = cell B6
01/07/09 = cell B7
01/08/09 = cell B8
(etc...)

In Column C, I would like to have every 7th (seventh) cell hold the date range for the previous 7 cells in Column B:
01/01/09 - 01/07/09 = cell C7

......I hope this makes SOME KIND of sense, since I am dumbfounded on how this can be accomplished without typing out the all of the date ranges as text throughout the entire year and for each year to come. There's GOT TO be a simple way to set this up as a function, right?

--Sid
sid@blacklionaudio.com
QUOTE Thanks
RamblinMan

RamblinMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB 2.4 Aluminum, iBook G4, PowerBook G4, iMac G5

The only catch is that you need to convert the date into a text value before concatenation.

Sample formula for column C7:
=CONCATENATE(TEXT(B1;"dd-mmm-yyyy");" - ";TEXT(B7;"dd-mmm-yyyy"))

Then, use any method you want (copy/paste, fill, etc.) to place the formula in every seventh cell going down. NOTE: I just did this on a Windows machine, so no confirmation on a Mac.

RamblinMan
MB Alum 2.4/2/250; VirtualBox with Vista and Ubuntu
iMac G5, iPods (4th Gen Nano, iPod Mini)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alternative to toast? | iphoto gone! »