New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RetroGlide

RetroGlide is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM

Ok, I have hooked up an external HD and am using TIme Machine. So far it has performed 2 backups which have gone fine.
My question is, I have deleted some pictures on my MBP on purpose. The same pics were on the last back up on Time Machine so as it stands the pictures are on Time Machine and not on the PC. When I next back up Time Machine will obviously perform the backup and this back up will not have the pics either. When it comes to keeping the latest back up will Time Machine keep the backup with the pics included or the backup without the pics?

Hope this makes sense
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Time machine backups are incremental not just one big block backup.

It takes a full backup of your Mac to start with and then subsequent backups are just the changes. It will have a record of both the time you had the pics and now that your don't. Once you have backedup this time fire up the Time Machine app and have a look at the folder where your pics were to see what I mean.

The time and 'depth' of the backups is only limited by the disk space you have.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
kbalch

kbalch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB

As the other responder stated, TM performs an incremental backup and the pics you deleted are still in your older backups.

To delete them, enter TM, navigate to an instance of one of the pics in an older backup, select it, and choose (from the action menu) 'Delete All Backups of'...

That will do just what it says: delete all backups of the selected file from all previous backups.

Hope this helps.

Ken
QUOTE Thanks
RetroGlide

RetroGlide is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Ghz 250GB 4GB RAM

Thank you guys, thats perfectly explained. Much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
captainrhetoric

captainrhetoric is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Aluminum body 15 inch 2.4 ghz 2 GB ram 250 HD

Ok. I am new to mac and just reformatted my lacie 250 gb rugged drive, which i have loved for a year, and have a question. I want to delete things off my hard drive now to save room. Will they delete off the backup next time i do it? It sounds like they won't delete until the backup drive gets full and needs to delete the older saves, right? If that is the case, then my stuff i take off the computer is not safe eternally.
Is that the case?
And also, will I have to go back into the other times to find those files? If so, maybe I want to start over and use lacie's 1 click backup for mac and control it all myself.
Help?
QUOTE Thanks
captainrhetoric

captainrhetoric is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Aluminum body 15 inch 2.4 ghz 2 GB ram 250 HD

So I rebooted from tm and found i couldn't back up to that spot anymore. it wanted to start over. The tech didn't tell me this. I had to drag the backup to the trash and delete it and then redo the entire TM backup. Hassle but I guess I understand since I did restore to a new machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Appointment Hour Missing | Firefox keeps sending me to the wrong site »