New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to do highlight command in Preview?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

seacucumber

seacucumber is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could give me some insight on this. I want to do the shortcut in Preview to highlight text quickly, but I can't figure out how to do the "^" that it requires. The command to highlight text is:

^ command H

I've tried the following:

shift 6 command H (since 6 is the key that has the "^" symbol)

up arrow key command H (this doesn't work either)

command H (doesn't work)

So what key is the one that supposedly is the "^" component of the "^ command H" shortcut? I'm a student and I have a lot of stuff to highlight in my pdfs. Arghh!! Somebody please help!

BTW, the command is under Tools-->Mark Up-->Highlight Text

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The up arrow is the Shift key. So to use that shortcut, it would be:

Shift + Command + H

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
seacucumber

seacucumber is on a distinguished road

Thanks, but it still doesn't work...has anyone gotten this command to work via the shortcut? Any more ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
mackate

mackate is on a distinguished road

I came looking for the same thing, and i found it! you've prob already found it by now but anyways...

it's control+command+H...here's the link to where i found it

Preview Tutorial - Mark Up Tools

i don't understand how ^ conveys command, but it works! hope this helps!!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

^ is the traditional notation for Control, which has been used for years. Caret notation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Microsoft prefers to use "Ctrl", but Apple has always used symbols for its menus, both to stay language-neutral, and to save space.

For what it's worth:

⌥ is Option

⌘ is Command

↩ is Return, which should never be confused with the Enter key, ⌤, (the one on the Numeric pad at the far right of a desktop keyboard; it's fn+return on a portable keyboard.)

⌫ is the Delete key, which should never be confused with the Forward Delete key, ⌦, (which must be entered as fn+⌫ on a portable)

⇧ is the Shift key; it's hollow, unlike the up-arrow key (Which would be ↑, along with the other arrow keys (↓, →, and ←)

Finally, ⎋ is the Escape (esc) key.

Even I don't know which ones are the Home/End and Page Up/Page Down keys. They're something like ⇤ and ⇥, though.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Here's an image file I keep handy just for this.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

Thanks where did you get that table? I've always thought I had to memorize and figure out these controls.... Apple should really put these images on the keys, like they do on the /command key and the forward-delete key.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
ldalal

ldalal is on a distinguished road

I have a question about preview... I can open my document in preview but for some reason when I click on annotate, all the options come up but I can't highlight, add note or anything to the document. Am are doing something wrong or are there some pdf files that just aren't compatible with preview?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard-user1 View Post
Apple should really put these images on the keys, like they do on the /command key and the forward-delete key.
And/or they should have a readily accessible legend. There's a minimal one in the Keyboard & Mouse System Preferences pane, but it's hidden. You have to click the Modifier Keys button. It's not intended as a legend, but as settings you can customize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldalal View Post
I have a question about preview...
You might have better luck starting a thread for it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Google Search in a New Tab | Themes in Safari »