New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

docx files using office 2004

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goude

goude is on a distinguished road

Hello

Can someone please tell me how I can view .docx files using Office 2004 (Version 11.3)??

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can either use NeoOffice to open and convert them to doc files or use this widget

Download Docx Converter 1.1 - Docx Converter - convert docx files right from your Desktop - Softpedia

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Or you could just download the latest updates to Office 2004.
Office for Mac - Easy Access to Downloads and Updates | Mactopia
(or run the Microsoft Update program that comes with Office.)
QUOTE Thanks
dbnoise

dbnoise will become famous soon enough

Open it in text edit and then do save as>doc file
QUOTE Thanks
andypham

andypham is on a distinguished road

Microsoft has released a converter for the earlier version of MS Office to open the .docx files.
Quote: Open XML Converter allows you to convert Open XML files that were created in Office 2008 for Mac or Office 2007 for Windows so that you can open, edit, and save them in earlier versions of Office for Mac. Open XML Converter can convert Word documents, Excel workbooks, and PowerPoint presentations that are in the Open XML Format so that you can open and edit the files in Office 2004 for Mac and Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.

Download it here: Office for Mac - Easy Access to Downloads and Updates | Mactopia
QUOTE Thanks
goude

Thank you all very much.
QUOTE Thanks
goude

Hi guys,

I did download Open XML File Format Converter from the microsoft website but I couldn't install it.

I doubled clicked on the file and a new finder window appeared. Then I copied the content of this window into the applications folder but nothing happened.

The version of office 2004 I've got is 11.3 and it says on the microsoft website that in order to open converted documents, you must have Office 2004 11.4.0 or later, or Office v. X 10.1.9 installed on your computer.

Does that mean I will need to upgrade to a later office version? office 2008?

Any suggestions more please?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It means you will have to download the updater from the MS website

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...50UpdateEN.dmg

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
goude

Thanks Louishen,

I installed the updater from the MS website with no problems but still can't install the mpkg file inside the open XML file format converter window.
When i drag & drop the mpkg file into the applications folder, it only copies that and nothing else. Once it's copied in the applications folder it should automatically start the installation.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
goude

I've got Mac OS X 10.3.9.
Maybe my mac is too old for installing mpkg files?
QUOTE Thanks
goude

If I install open office, will I be able to open docx files?
QUOTE Thanks
andypham

andypham is on a distinguished road

Hi Goude,

I hope this can help

System Requirements
Important To open converted documents, you must have Office 2004 11.4.0 or later, or Office v. X 10.1.9 or later installed on your computer. For the best experience, we recommend that you install the Office 2004 11.5.1 Update or a later update for Office 2004 for Mac.

To verify that you have installed the Office 2004 11.4.0 Update or a later update, select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in Microsoft Office 2004/Office on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info. To verify that you have installed the Office v. X 10.1.9 Update or a later update, select the Microsoft Component Plugin file in Microsoft Office X/Office on your hard disk, and then on the File menu, click Get Info.

Additionally, your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:

Supported Operating Systems: Apple Mac OS X
Operating System Versions: Mac OSX version 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of Mac OS
Note To verify that your computer meets these minimum requirements, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac.

How to Install
To install this download

Print this page if you want to use it as a reference when you are offline.
Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with the installation.
Make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
Click Download, or click the link for the language version that you want.
Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, and then click General.
Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 5 to place the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume on your desktop, and then double-click the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume to open it. This step might have been performed for you.
In the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume window, double-click the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 application to start the installation process, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
If the installation finishes successfully, you can remove the application installer from your hard disk. To remove the application installer, first drag the Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.0.2 volume to the Trash, and then drag the file that you downloaded to the Trash.
To remove this download

If Open XML Converter is running, quit the application.
On your hard disk, locate the converter application.
Drag the converter application to the Trash, and then on the Finder menu, click Empty Trash.
To remove your existing converter application preferences, in /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Microsoft, delete the com.microsoft.OfficeConverter.plist file.
Important To remove all converter files from your computer, in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft, delete the HV1.0, MAU2.0, and Office Converter Support folders. If other Microsoft software, such as Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac, Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac, Microsoft Messenger, or Microsoft Expression Media is installed on your computer, do not delete any of the files in /Library/Application Support/Microsoft because these files are used by other Microsoft applications.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goude View Post
When i drag & drop the mpkg file into the applications folder, it only copies that and nothing else. Once it's copied in the applications folder it should automatically start the installation.

Is that correct? Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. You're supposed to run the mpkg file, not copy it to the Applications folder. Double-click the file to run it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please Help Me "Get Back" In Game Mode | When did iChat start Jabber (Google chat) »