New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Why is my Mac doing this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kevintieu

kevintieu is an unknown at this point

Hi,

I need a few answers on compressing and decompressing if you can help. Lately, I haven't been able to run any .exe files at all. Most (maybe all) of the programs I download come in as the gold colored .exe file. When I double click on it, it becomes a .zip file, then double clicking on the .zip file brings it back to the .exe file. What's going on here?

A few weeks ago, I downloaded VLC video player and was able to install and run it successfully. But today I realized that the file is no longer on my Mac, so I downloaded it again. This time I was not able to install due to the back and fourth compress and decompress problem - the same problem I'm having with other programs I've downloaded.

Please note that I have Unarchiver installed.

Please explain if you understand the problem.

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

.exe is a Windows type file. You can not run .exe files on your Mac.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
kevintieu

but i always look for mac compatible programs, so why would the come with .exe files?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintieu View Post
but i always look for mac compatible programs, so why would the come with .exe files?
I'm not sure about that. Maybe you are downloading the wrong file? I don't know.

Mac programs usually come in .dmg files.

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
kevintieu

Thanks anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If you are downloading a file with an .EXE extension you are not downloading a OSX file. Can you provide an example URL to a file that is meant for OSX that has a .EXE extension? .EXE will not run on OSX and never has. It's a Windows Executable.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Hi,

I need a few answers on compressing and decompressing if you can help. Lately, I haven't been able to run any .exe files at all. Most (maybe all) of the programs I download come in as the gold colored .exe file. When I double click on it, it becomes a .zip file, then double clicking on the .zip file brings it back to the .exe file. What's going on here?

<snip>

Thank you!
As others have mentioned, .exe files only run under Windows. In OS X, The Unarchiver app associates itself with the .exe format, presumably since some compressed files come that way and it is able to reach in and pull the contents out without actually running the executable code.

In your case, for some reason Unarchiver (or perhaps some other app) is instead putting the .exe file into a .zip file. And of course, when you open the .zip file, Unarchiver is extracting the .exe file back out.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
andypham

andypham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi,

A few weeks ago, I downloaded VLC video player and was able to install and run it successfully. But today I realized that the file is no longer on my Mac, so I downloaded it again. This time I was not able to install due to the back and fourth compress and decompress problem - the same problem I'm having with other programs I've downloaded.

Thank you!
To Mac, the .exe file means nothing. An application in Mac should be .app thus remember to check them out before download. Besides, do not use Windows PC to download application for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
kevintieu

It's possible that I have messed up...
Thanks for all the insights.

HH!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I sync Blackberry to Entourage or individual Mac programs? | time machine error - never stops to prepare or stopping back-up »