New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I change the address that iCal e-mail alerts are being sent from?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wintersmith

wintersmith is on a distinguished road

I have an annoying iCal issue and can't find solutions on this or any other boards, so far.

I set up an e-mail alert for an iCal event, and duly received an e-mail. The "sender" of the alert is one of the 5 addresses I have configured under Mail. It's not the oldest, newest, or the one on top in my Mail app. I'd really like to have all iCal alerts come from another of my accounts instead, but can't find any way to achieve this in iCal preferences.

Anyone know how to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
MacSupremacist

MacSupremacist is on a distinguished road

I was looking for an answer but all I found the question on this page that was never answered, so... I spent a minute going through the three most obvious places... iCal, nope! Address book, nope! How bout Mail? Yup...

Open Mail.app, preferences, composing, and underneath where it says, "Addressing:" look for "Send new mail from:".

At default it will send from "Account of last viewed mail box". This is where you change it to send from the address of your choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear is on a distinguished road

I suspect the issue is that the original poster (like me) wants to be able to select, on a per notification basis, the Mail.app account from which a selected iCal notification is sent for a selected iCal event. That is, that particular account selection should not automatically apply to all unselected iCal e-mail notifications.

If so, there currently does not appear to be a way to do this under OS X 10.5.8.

Anyone know if 10.6 can properly handle it?

It seems the following AppleScript can be used so solve the issue. Simply edit the script as needed to suit the particular notification, save the script under a unique name, and then tell the notification to run that AppleScript.
--------------------------

tell application "Mail"
tell front message viewer
-- if have multiple Inboxes, replace "Family" with the desired Inbox
set themailbox to mailbox "Family" as list
set selected mailboxes to themailbox
end tell

set theMessage to make new outgoing message

tell theMessage
-- replace "username@domainname.extension" with the desired sender e-mail address
set sender to "Notification <username@domainname.extension>"
-- replace "Plan Weekend" with the desired subject line
set the subject to "Plan Weekend"
-- replace "Time to plan the weekend." with the desired message content
set the content to "Time to plan the weekend."
-- replace "username@domainname.extension" with the desired recipient's e-mail address
make new to recipient at end of to recipients with properties {address:"username@domainname.extension"}

-- turn off the following line to create and send the e-mail in the background
set visible to true
end tell

-- turn off the following line when testing
send theMessage

end tell
QUOTE Thanks
robinwhale

robinwhale is on a distinguished road

Go to Address Book and select your own details ("My Card").

Click EDIT "My Card."

Add another email address to the card (the email address you want to use in iCal).

Save and close Address Book.

Open iCal and the newly added email address should now be available as an option for your alerts.

Worked for me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mount EXT3 Hard Drive | iTunes and my NASS box? »