New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Other - iChat and yahoo?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VastDeathmaster

My primary email is through Yahoo. iChat only works with .Mac and AIM. I am currently using Yahoo Messenger because of this. I have tried Fire and though it works, it is not as nice as Yahoo.

I was wondering if iChat will ever be made to work with other IMs.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I doubt it will. iChat has been AIM/ICQ/.mac since its inception and will most likely stay that way

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
fusionJava

A really nice program that I like and use currently is Proteus. It has a lot of great features that are native to AIM/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ and I believe Jabber even. Check them out here:
http://www.defaultware.com/proteus/
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

I prefer iChat and Yahoo Messenger instead of Fire/Adium because the former applications actually work with webcams.

Open source messenger clients suck. Badly. Gaim w/ video is in the works for Linux but I lack the needed compiler for it.
QUOTE Thanks
phatsew

I love Adium. It has trouble with file xfers, but after they iron that out I think it will be the best IM client ever developed. It is so customizable.

However, I have never had a webcam, so I am ignorant to Adium's ease with one.
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatsew
I love Adium. It has trouble with file xfers, but after they iron that out I think it will be the best IM client ever developed. It is so customizable.

However, I have never had a webcam, so I am ignorant to Adium's ease with one.

I was looking into Adium. I agree that it is very customizable. It's even nice that they have their own forum. That's where it says [we know you want video, we are looking into it, but don't hold your breath] or something like that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there an alternative to msn messager? | How to get rid of demo »