New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Weird Excel Error

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NickBird

NickBird is on a distinguished road

So here I am diligently working on a spreadsheet. As I'm grinding through this thing, I come to a point where I can get no further unless I grab some information from another spreadsheet. I download the file I need and attempt to open it. It opened (or appeared to anyway) and a pop-up came with it.

It reads:
"Microsoft Excel cannot save AutoRecover info to Macintosh HD:User:Nickocuments:Microsoft User Data:Office 2008 AutoRecovery:."

with two options:
"Do not show this dialog again for this session of Excel."
and
"OK"

Unfortunately, clicking either does absolutely nothing for me...

What's more, it won't even let me quit Excel. I can still run other programs, etc.

Ultimately I would like to get rid of this and still keep my unsaved work.. Anything I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
NickBird

NickBird is on a distinguished road

I learned how to do the force quit thing.. And as luck would have it, through the power of a higher being, it somehow saved.. under the name of the second file i tried opening... None of it makes sense to me but i'm glad to have my original work
QUOTE Thanks
trickyt

trickyt is on a distinguished road

A couple of times while using Excel and while doing nothing special, it has simply crashed with the same pop up message.

"Microsoft Excel cannot save AutoRecover info to Macintosh HD:User:Tricky Documents:Microsoft User Data:Office 2008 AutoRecovery:."

with two options:
"Do not show this dialog again for this session of Excel."
and
"OK"

As Nick noted clicking either does nothing and it is impossible to exit Excel or save the document you are working on. The only way to exit is to use the "Force Quit" function under the apple in the top left hand corner of the screen. You don't get any option to save your work, but in my case, on restarting Excel, everything came back the way I left it.

I thought Mac's were supposed to be bug free? Maybe Apple didn't write the software for this.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Yeah, it''s buggy. I hope Office 2011, due out this fall, will be better.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iSight over network? | In Safari, url bar search options »