New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari not playing videos on CBC website

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Primus_badger

Primus_badger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro (4gig, 250 H.D. 7500 rpm) White Macbook (1 gig, 80HD), I-Pod Touch (16 gig)

on my new laptop, safari is not playing videos on the CBC website. after the first time i tried, i got a message saying that the videos were in an unsupported format, so i downloaded windows media player 9 for mac and flip 4 mac. these got rid of the message, but the video still don't play, just a grey screen comes up.

does firefox have the missing plug-in?

thanks
Eric
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What is the exact URL of the site?

I found it and the only videos I was able to find say they are restricted to users in Canada only.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus_badger View Post
on my new laptop, safari is not playing videos on the CBC website. after the first time i tried, i got a message saying that the videos were in an unsupported format, so i downloaded windows media player 9 for mac and flip 4 mac. these got rid of the message, but the video still don't play, just a grey screen comes up.

does firefox have the missing plug-in?

thanks
Eric
Having both of those installed casues conflicts between the two. You should uninstall one, preferably Windows Media Player for Mac. Make sure the Internet plugin gets zapped too.
QUOTE Thanks
appleika

appleika is on a distinguished road

Were you ever able to resolve the issue? - I would like to be able to watch CBC on my mac but with the Windows Media Player installed (i haven't got flip4mac) it still is not working...

Pls advise...
thnks
apple ika
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

works just fine on my G4 in both Safari and Firefox

Flip4Mac version 2.2.0

Check the Flip4Mac preference pane and make sure Use Flip4Mac WMV browser plugin is checked

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
appleika

I don't know how I downloaded WMP9 (but don't think i used Flip4Mac) and also installed Real Player 11...
You are saying :
"Check the Flip4Mac preference pane and make sure Use Flip4Mac WMV browser plugin is checked"
I have no idea how to do these...
Should I uninstal the WMP and then download it again using flip4mac???
your further help will be greatly appreciated...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, uninstall of WMP9. That thing hasn't been worked on in years.
And install Flip4Mac, offered even at microsoft and I believe they actually own that company now.

Once installed, you will have access to F4M pref pane in System Preferences.

Flip4Mac is being updated. The only issue is that it will not play DRM'd windows media files.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
appleika

thanks for your reply...
Ok so in order to uninstall I just take the ikon from the applications folder and drag it into the trash???
also - what is a DRM file?
DO you know if it will play CBC's clips ?
thanks in advance for your help...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yes for sure get rid of WMP completely as it and Flip4Mac have issues if both installed and like Bob said, WMP is old and has not been updated in ages. Flip4Mac is the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The couple of videos I found at CBC were flash videos.

For these you will need Adobe Flash Player.

Another one you'll want to install if you haven't is Perian.

You still want Flip4Mac also.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« No full screen mode for X11.app | Dvd Shrink and Dvd Decrypter »