New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Adobe After Effects CS3 Serial Number Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twentydeuce

twentydeuce is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17"

Hi all. I am new to the Mac environment and am having an issue with After Effects. I had a friend install the full Adobe Package (along with various other programs) and when I got it back from him, it didn't contain After Effects. I downloaded the Trial Version and used a Serial number that I had and everything checked out. I went to the activation screen and I think I mistyped my activation code because it immediately said that my license was expired. Now I have tried to uninstall and reinstall a number of times but never had had to re-register.

I have tried to deactivate the software but it gives me an error and says it was unsuccessful. I assume this is because it never activated properly. My question is where is the serial number located in the library? I want to delete this file and start over. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

Might need to call Adobe on this one.

Generally, non-volume license serial codes will only activate a MAX of 2 times, once that has been reached, a call to Adobe is required.
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Adobe uses a very sophisticated activation scheme. Also, once the trial is gone, you will never install it again, unless you cloned the system first. If your "friend" is installing multiple copies of a $1500 product, shame on him. Adobe will wipe all serial numbers and kill the activations.
QUOTE Thanks
twentydeuce

twentydeuce is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17"

So you're saying that there is no way to delete the file that stores the serial number?
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

No, it's normally not 1 single file, it's a series of files in various locations. Most of the time unknown to anyone but Adobe.

Your best bet is to call Adobe and explain the situation, provided you are using a 'legit' version.
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

They also are based on calculations of the disk. Very good security to protect very good software from very bad people (thieves)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And tell your friend as he is likely to find his copy unworkable also as Adobe may well deactivate his registered copy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yahoo notifier | Aperture to iPhoto »