New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

VMWare vs. Parallels

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Qua Sar

Qua Sar is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I would like to know the difference between VMWare and Parallels. Is there any major competitive differences? Does one run better with lower ram (I have a Core Duo Macbook Pro 2gb ram)
QUOTE Thanks
jimd144

jimd144 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I have VMWare and love it. It supports dual processors and USB very well. You can try it for free. I would give 1GB ram to either.

VMware has been in the VM business the longest. Parallels is also a fine product. You will be happy with either.

Why not try both? They can both run together, and then when you buy, you just activate the one you will use.
QUOTE Thanks
Qua Sar

Can VMWare, like parallels run a virutal machine off boot camp?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes, both Fusion and Parallels can use your Boot Camp partition as a VM. However, you need to be aware that Windows will nag you to activate again if you run your Boot Camp installation of Windows in a VM. In my opinion, it's best to either run Windows natively using Boot Camp, or separately using the VM method, but not both ways.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Qua Sar

well i play baldur's gate but also like to use Visual Studio... which i use through VMWare so i can also do other thigns... so i prefer both.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I used to use Parallels, but decided to give Fusion a try once it hit version 2.0 and turns out the latter is noticeably faster. I would definitely recommend VMware Fusion over Parallels now.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Qua Sar

ok, i also could try virtualbox what do you guys think of it? Also, does paralels or vmware (or virtualbox) support any gaming? specifically Baldur's gate 1 and 2/Icewind dale 1 and 2?
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I had v1 of VMWare Fusion. Installation was so easy I thought I had done something wrong. I hadn't and it ran XP and all my legacy windows software like a dream. I initially had problems getting XP to recognise my printers but with version 2 all that has been sorted and I'm printing quite happily. XP under fusion2 now also gives direct access to my OS folders without tinkering(My documents, My Pictures are mirrored in Fusion) which is an added bonus. I can recommend Fusion - especially as you can trial it for a month for free.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

I currently run Fusion of all of my work tools that aren't mac native and I have to say it is my favourite program on the mac for the ease of use and features. The one that clinched it for me was unity, which allows you to place the running program, say baulders gate, onto the dock. Later on you can just click on this, it will unsuspend the VM, open baulders gate and close down the rest of the VM leaving only Baulders Gate running.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage won't launch! | Videochat? »