New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

QuickTime - Watching movies on external display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andre

Andre is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB

Hi!

There must be a good 200 messages here about attaching external displays to MBPs. I got mine set up and working, but I don't understand how QuickTime's full screen option works.

No matter where my menu bar is (on the MBP or on the external display), clicking full screen always displays my movie on the MBP's screen...? This seems like the opposite of what you would want.

Mirroring the displays is even worse, since the movie plays on both screens. How do I black out my MBP screen and get the fullscreen movie on my external display? I could, I guess, mirror the displays and then turn the brightness of my MBP display to zero, but this seems like a hack. What would be awesome is if the MBP screen could stay on, showing my e-mail and Adium windows, and have the external display show the movie...

Suggestions?
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I know what you mean, Quicktime doesn't work well with a dual monitor setup. I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but it's really not worth the trouble. Just download VLC and it'll do everything you're looking for

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

For watching movies in full screen I use QTAmateur, which is a quicktime replacement that is small, light, and does full screen video in an external display quite nicely. I have it on my Dock and drag the movie file down to it. It launches with the movie at the beginning, but a quick Shift+Command+F it will go to full screen on the external and start playing the movie.

Oh, and yes it is free.
QUOTE Thanks
Andre

Oh nice! VLC does what I want, but QTAmateur even allows the MBP screen to be active at the same time! Wow! Someone read mw mind.

Thanks to both of you!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

VLC allows you to use your main screen as well. I used to do it all the time when I had an external monitor hooked up to my Macbook.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

I second the VLC. It is small, fast and FREE!!!!
This is one of the best media players I have ever used. I have it on every single OS I run and it works perfectly on them all. Not once have I come across a file type or codec it could not run, out of the box.
QUOTE Thanks
Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
VLC allows you to use your main screen as well. I used to do it all the time when I had an external monitor hooked up to my Macbook.
Yes, but it blacks out the notebook screen, right? Is there a way so that your notebook screen stays on, but displays the video full screen on the external monitor? QTAmateur does this, which makes me very happy
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Like I said, my Macbook's main screen was perfectly usable while VLC did its thing on the second screen.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Andre

Hmm... I re-read your post and noticed you had mentioned that. I tried with the default settings and it didn't happen, so I switched to that QT app. Sorry!

On another note, what about iTunes movies/videos? This seems to have the same problem as the QuickTime issues in the original post. Is there a way to get around this in iTunes, or can where can I find my iTunes video downloads to play in VLC?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 7.1.4 + Quicktime 7.5 = iSight no longer works | Mac Mail to Outlook »