New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Apple says- Get Antivirus!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

I was listening to Mac OS Ken, my favorite podcast, when he said something that made me jump. Apparently, Apple posted on it's a support website a piece of advice to Mac users. We should get antivirus software!!! They suggested ClamXav (google it. it's free), Norton Antivirus for mac, and a few others. Have you heard anything about this? I bought a Mac to stay away from viruses. This is really annoying!

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
Blakebear

Blakebear is on a distinguished road

Just read this on BBC News as well.

And here I had hoped my Mac was impenetrable.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

OS X, and any computer operating system, is susceptible the viruses - that is a fact, and a long-standing one at that. The difference between OS X and Windows is that it is not prone to viruses because there are built-in safeguards that make it very difficult to write a successful virus unless there is an unpatched hole. This is precisely why there has never been an "in-the-wild" virus for OS X.

Although Apple may now officially recommend an anti-virus product, they're simply useless as they have nothing to scan for (aside from Windows viruses). I'll also go a step forward and say that provided you are cognizant of any requests for your administrator password, you'll likely never have an issue with any kind of malware.

Also note that this thread doesn't meet the guidelines for being posted in Rumors & Reports, so I've moved it.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

And for those of you interested in the full article, see here:

AppleInsider | Apple now "encourages" antivirus use for Mac OS X

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Upon reading this BBC story this morning, I came here posthaste to see what was being said about it.
I agree with cwa: I think OS X is just as safe from the types of viruses we are familiar with. What gave me pause were the last 2 paragraphs of the story:
"However, in recent months, hi-tech criminals have signalled a change in tactics away from e-mail borne viruses. Instead, many are infiltrating popular webpages in a bid to infect the machine of any and every visitor.

Many seek to steal valuable information such as login names, passwords or game accounts instead of trying to install themselves on a machine."

This brings up a couple questions: Are server-side viruses really new? It sounds like pharming attacks to me. Can installing antivirus software on your Mac defeat those kinds of attacks? Are there more important questions I'm not asking? Your analysis please!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Upon reading this BBC story this morning, I came here posthaste to see what was being said about it.
I agree with cwa: I think OS X is just as safe from the types of viruses we are familiar with. What gave me pause were the last 2 paragraphs of the story:
"However, in recent months, hi-tech criminals have signalled a change in tactics away from e-mail borne viruses. Instead, many are infiltrating popular webpages in a bid to infect the machine of any and every visitor.

Many seek to steal valuable information such as login names, passwords or game accounts instead of trying to install themselves on a machine."

This brings up a couple questions: Are server-side viruses really new? It sounds like pharming attacks to me. Can installing antivirus software on your Mac defeat those kinds of attacks? Are there more important questions I'm not asking? Your analysis please!
Those kinds of drive-by downloads are nothing new. I would be concerned about them if I was running something like IE that is prone to holes that can be opened with ActiveX scripts.

QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

What is the best (and free) antivirus for the mac? No way i'm putting on the junk called Mcafee or norton!
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 12GB| OS X.9.3 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.1

clamxav is free...if its good or not is a debatable issue...you would consider an antivirus to be good when its effective in finding viruses...on a mac as far as i know i have nenver had a virus (apart from pc viruses which are detected)
its a paradox...you will never know if an antivirus is good or not till it detects a virus...& thats exactly what you dont want!

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
MrSin

MrSin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: C2D 24-inch iMac; 14-inch iBook G4

Apple now encourages users to install anti virus utilities on their Macs. Here's Apple's support link: Mac OS: Antivirus utilities
I found this from a MacWorld post. I'm currently using PC Tool's iAntivirus (free) on my Intel iMac but still looking for a suitable utility for my iBook G4.

~ Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal. ~
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

Already a topic on this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...antivirus.html

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Those kinds of drive-by downloads are nothing new. I would be concerned about them if I was running something like IE that is prone to holes that can be opened with ActiveX scripts.
And Safari isnt prone to attacks? i recall in a past competition Safari was the first one to get comprimised allowing full access to the system...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If it's only to keep myself from passing on viruses to Windows users, I think I'll pass on the drain to my system resources. Let Windows users deal with their own viruses.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

no, it would be to keep your own system from becoming comprimised from a bad website that uses code to take over your system

Now, anyone who watches their browsing habits you are probably safe for the most part, Apple has been recommending people use AV for some years now.. and every couple years it pops back up as some big news release because un-knowning OS's users spread the false sense that OS / OSX is inpenetreble!!! and a perfect os!! it can never get a virus / spyware / malware or ever be comprimised!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've had my Mac for about two years now. I've done a good share of unsafe browsing, yet I'm still problem-free. Sure, OS X may not be impenetrable, but it's pretty darn close.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Nothing has changed. Come to Apple Online and spend a buck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo Booth pictures disappeared mysteriously | HELP! How can i record self videos like this?? »