Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   Apple says- Get Antivirus! (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/132225-apple-says-get-antivirus.html)

Forum Shark 12-02-2008 09:10 AM

Apple says- Get Antivirus!

I was listening to Mac OS Ken, my favorite podcast, when he said something that made me jump. Apparently, Apple posted on it's a support website a piece of advice to Mac users. We should get antivirus software!!!:o They suggested ClamXav (google it. it's free), Norton Antivirus for mac, and a few others. Have you heard anything about this? I bought a Mac to stay away from viruses. This is really annoying!

Blakebear 12-02-2008 09:40 AM

Just read this on BBC News as well.

And here I had hoped my Mac was impenetrable.

cwa107 12-02-2008 09:59 AM

OS X, and any computer operating system, is susceptible the viruses - that is a fact, and a long-standing one at that. The difference between OS X and Windows is that it is not prone to viruses because there are built-in safeguards that make it very difficult to write a successful virus unless there is an unpatched hole. This is precisely why there has never been an "in-the-wild" virus for OS X.

Although Apple may now officially recommend an anti-virus product, they're simply useless as they have nothing to scan for (aside from Windows viruses). I'll also go a step forward and say that provided you are cognizant of any requests for your administrator password, you'll likely never have an issue with any kind of malware.

Also note that this thread doesn't meet the guidelines for being posted in Rumors & Reports, so I've moved it.

cwa107 12-02-2008 10:11 AM

And for those of you interested in the full article, see here:

AppleInsider | Apple now "encourages" antivirus use for Mac OS X

Neo 12-02-2008 12:07 PM

Upon reading this BBC story this morning, I came here posthaste to see what was being said about it.
I agree with cwa: I think OS X is just as safe from the types of viruses we are familiar with. What gave me pause were the last 2 paragraphs of the story:
"However, in recent months, hi-tech criminals have signalled a change in tactics away from e-mail borne viruses. Instead, many are infiltrating popular webpages in a bid to infect the machine of any and every visitor.

Many seek to steal valuable information such as login names, passwords or game accounts instead of trying to install themselves on a machine."

This brings up a couple questions: Are server-side viruses really new? It sounds like pharming attacks to me. Can installing antivirus software on your Mac defeat those kinds of attacks? Are there more important questions I'm not asking? Your analysis please!

cwa107 12-02-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo (Post 765210)
Upon reading this BBC story this morning, I came here posthaste to see what was being said about it.
I agree with cwa: I think OS X is just as safe from the types of viruses we are familiar with. What gave me pause were the last 2 paragraphs of the story:
"However, in recent months, hi-tech criminals have signalled a change in tactics away from e-mail borne viruses. Instead, many are infiltrating popular webpages in a bid to infect the machine of any and every visitor.

Many seek to steal valuable information such as login names, passwords or game accounts instead of trying to install themselves on a machine."

This brings up a couple questions: Are server-side viruses really new? It sounds like pharming attacks to me. Can installing antivirus software on your Mac defeat those kinds of attacks? Are there more important questions I'm not asking? Your analysis please!

Those kinds of drive-by downloads are nothing new. I would be concerned about them if I was running something like IE that is prone to holes that can be opened with ActiveX scripts.

vaughan80 12-02-2008 01:20 PM

What is the best (and free) antivirus for the mac? No way i'm putting on the junk called Mcafee or norton!

rohan 12-02-2008 01:27 PM

clamxav is free...if its good or not is a debatable issue...you would consider an antivirus to be good when its effective in finding viruses...on a mac as far as i know i have nenver had a virus (apart from pc viruses which are detected)
its a paradox...you will never know if an antivirus is good or not till it detects a virus...& thats exactly what you dont want!

MrSin 12-02-2008 02:14 PM

Apple encourages antivirus use

Apple now encourages users to install anti virus utilities on their Macs. Here's Apple's support link: Mac OS: Antivirus utilities
I found this from a MacWorld post. I'm currently using PC Tool's iAntivirus (free) on my Intel iMac but still looking for a suitable utility for my iBook G4.

lifeafter2am 12-02-2008 02:28 PM

Already a topic on this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...antivirus.html

Mathiau 12-02-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwa107 (Post 765240)
Those kinds of drive-by downloads are nothing new. I would be concerned about them if I was running something like IE that is prone to holes that can be opened with ActiveX scripts.

And Safari isnt prone to attacks? i recall in a past competition Safari was the first one to get comprimised allowing full access to the system...

Kash 12-02-2008 05:47 PM

If it's only to keep myself from passing on viruses to Windows users, I think I'll pass on the drain to my system resources. Let Windows users deal with their own viruses.

Mathiau 12-02-2008 05:53 PM

no, it would be to keep your own system from becoming comprimised from a bad website that uses code to take over your system

Now, anyone who watches their browsing habits you are probably safe for the most part, Apple has been recommending people use AV for some years now.. and every couple years it pops back up as some big news release because un-knowning OS's users spread the false sense that OS / OSX is inpenetreble!!! and a perfect os!! it can never get a virus / spyware / malware or ever be comprimised!

Kash 12-02-2008 05:56 PM

I've had my Mac for about two years now. I've done a good share of unsafe browsing, yet I'm still problem-free. Sure, OS X may not be impenetrable, but it's pretty darn close.

harryb2448 12-02-2008 07:00 PM

Nothing has changed. Come to Apple Online and spend a buck!