New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word processing software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marybethmc

marybethmc is on a distinguished road

What is the best for IMAC. I am used to word from PC but not sure if I should buy pages or Office for mac. What are the advantages of each? If I get pages can I send documents to people that do not use that program? Thanks for your suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

You could always use the free Neo Office. Works with all document types. Has all the features of Word, etc. and is compatible with just about anything.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
marybethmc

marybethmc is on a distinguished road

I have used open office but it has been having problems the past few months and just gets hung up. I think it was an Apple update that messed with it.
I have never tried Neo office, maybe I will try that.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The latest version of Open Office is now Mac Aqua desktop compatible. You no longer need to run X11.

However, in my opinion, if you're used to running Word it might be a good idea to purchase the Student - Teacher version of Mac Office 2008 which includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage. Amazon has it for $109.72 and free shipping.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Student and Teacher [OLD VERSION]: Macintosh: Software

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Office 2008 is the go particularly if your iMac is an Intel model, the avatar does not say. Also if you are at college or university, some lecturers may only accept work submitted in Office format.
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

Well, except that Office 2008 is not exactly like Office 2007; there will still be a slight learning curve. And if the OP wants VBA, then Office 2008 is out - VBA not supported.

I have been using NeoOffice for some time (based on OO 2.4, but in January will be based on OO 3.0) and it is very solid, and is crafted to be Mac-like. I have also used OO 3.0 since it was in private beta, and I have never had a problem with it. A few Mac issues (not correct alignment display support), but overall a usable program

And yes, I worked at a Fortune 50 company as an analyst for 8 years (until early this year), so I know what can be done on the Windows side for MS Office.

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a replacement software, going from windows to mac | Macbook (late 2008) youtube performance? »