New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine Back Up Extremely Slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dalmatians

Dalmatians is on a distinguished road

So I have been having problems with my MBP the past couple of days. It takes about 3min to open an app and I can't play any songs in iTunes because the song keeps stopping and loading. So basically my computer is unusable. I decided to buy a LaCie 1TB external HD in the hope to save all of the precious files on my computer and I just got it in the mail this morning. I hooked it up and started running Time Machine for a full back up. Just as I expected it is extremely slow so slow that after 2 hours it has only copied 401.1MB out of 228.87GB. Just to be clear I have a 250GB hard drive and 2GB of Ram in my MBP with a little over 3GB of space left. What can I do to speed up the process. My plan was to back up my entire HD and then try and save my laptop by restoring it.
I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

What is the CPU and memory doing in Activity Monitor? It is going to take a boat load of time, but that seems like too much. You might have a drive going bad as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Dalmatians

I am not sure what to look for in the Activity Monitor.
It says 237 Threads and 60 Processes
It is a fairly new HD.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

Sort the CPU and memory columns by highest users and see what/if anything is taking all the resources.
QUOTE Thanks
Dalmatians

Apps open but lag a lot.
For instance it sometimes takes forever just to exit a window.
I just disabled the animation of opening applications which helps a tiny bit.
QUOTE Thanks
Dalmatians

In the CPU tab it looks like kernel_task is the highest. 1.6-2.1 CPU and 150 mb memory
But it keeps changing it also said activity monitor 14.5 CPU now it is down to 1.8.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As an old hardware guy, first general rule of thumb with reference to your boot drive has always been to maintain 10% free space - minimum. At 1% free space, you're asking for problems, pretty much no matter the OS.

Time Machine - first backup is going to be painfully slow. Typically a first Time Machine backup of only 20-30 GB's is an overnight process. I would recommend you grab SuperDuper! and do a full bootable backup. Then if something happens to your drive during all this process, you'll be able to boot to the external drive at least. Also, recommend partitioning the external into 2 partitions a 350 GB partition at this point for the backup partition and the balance for future storage.

Even SuperDuper will take a few hours to back up 230GB of data, particularly if it's USB.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dalmatians

It is firewire. At the rate it is going at right now (2GB in the past four hours) It will take days. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process (quitting programs somehow) without downloading Superduper! I can't really use Safari or download anything right now. When I am finished with backing up do you think restoring my computer will save it?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Have you tried stopping the backup and rebooting and starting over?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Sorry, can't tell you what you would like to hear. It will take a long time, quite possibly days with Time Machine and that much data from everything I've read. Part of your issue right now is no free space on your boot drive. This is limiting the amount of virtual memory available and the speed of the reads and writes.

Still recommend two partitions on the external drive. And still stand by recommendation for getting SuperDuper for your first back up. After you back it up with SuperDuper, boot to the backup partition and move as much of your data to the 2nd partition as possible. Then, run SuperDuper from the backup drive and have it copy itself back to your internal in it's new lean state.

QUOTE Thanks
Dalmatians

Okay I will try the things suggested a little later on tonight.
Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I agree with bobtomay above on having enough free space on your boot drive.

The first backup on Time Machine takes a lot of time, and interrupting and restarting backups will not improve the situation.

Be patient and let Time Machine do the job.

Cheers
McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Dalmatians

Thanks you guys.
The process has speeded up significantly and I only have 100 GB's to go
I have one question. When I click on my external HD on the desktop I am unable to see the files that have been added so far. Will I have have to wait until the full back up has been completed to see the progress?
Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

And what are you planning to do to solve the issue with your internal drive once you have a full Time Machine backup?

QUOTE Thanks
dsuisman

dsuisman is on a distinguished road

I recently encountered the same problem--super slow initial backup with Time Machine.

What helped was disabling the VirusScan software I had running on my system. (In truth, disabling required uninstalling it and then reinstalling after the initial backup was completed, because VirusScan 8.6.1 for Mac has no Disable feature.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ical and Firefox | Email Problems »