New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

My Firefox 3 And Safari Won't Download Apps On Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicovelco

nicovelco is on a distinguished road

Hello, I need some help with a problem I have reserched around the web and can't seem to find an answer. The thing is... for the last few days I haven't been able to download apps on Safari or Firefox 3. I can get them on Opera and I don't have a problem downloading say RAR files. This is very weird I have no idea what to do...

Thanks and please HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
shonamelissa

shonamelissa is on a distinguished road

I think I have the same problem..
I used to be able to download anything with Mozilla Firefox (Mac OSX Leopard) but now I can only download RAR files. Anything ZIP will not work...it just has a blank page and the bar keeps loading but nothing happens...
Exactly the same problem in Safari too so I have been opening Internet Explorer for Mac (which is terrible) whenever I want to download ZIP files which is daily.

I have cleared my cache (which is set to auto clear anyway) and also set all my security setting to just let anything through, no problems with my firewall either..

Help!?
QUOTE Thanks
advancedOption

advancedOption is on a distinguished road

I have this problem too.

.zip & .dmg files try to load in the browser (FF3) and if the download link is not a direct link, there's no way to get the file (well there is, but it's f___n annoying).

Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to have to reinstall all my addons, bookmarks, settings.
QUOTE Thanks
shonamelissa

Yes, I quoted .zip but I can't download .dmg either..
.rars are still fine though...
Any answers????
QUOTE Thanks
Dman77

Dman77 is on a distinguished road

I used to have problems with dmg files, in the end I got so frustrated that I reinstalled and restored from my Time Capsule and it's worked since, but it was VERY long winded. I had to use igetter each time I wanted to download them.
QUOTE Thanks
shonamelissa

hmm, I only just got a time capsule so I don't have any timemachine backups to go back to. I have iGetter though so I'll try using that instead of a whole new browser. Better than nothin!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you tried right-clicking and selecting "Save Link As" (or whatever the equivalent is for you)?

Have you tried completely removing the app using something like AppCleaner?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
shonamelissa

completely removing what app vansmith?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the problematic browser with something like AppCleaner. So, drag the app onto the AppCleaner app and have it remove the app along with all associated files. Then reinstall the browser.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Tavaison

Tavaison is on a distinguished road

this just happened to me tonight, my firefox and safari wouldnt download any apps or zip files. after searching for a while, found out it was Speed Downloader, and i uninstalled it incorrectly or something, and it wasn't letting e download anything. if you do have that installed, try uninstalling it, or reinstalling then uninstalling properly. since doing that, everything is working fine now.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaison View Post
this just happened to me tonight, my firefox and safari wouldnt download any apps or zip files. after searching for a while, found out it was Speed Downloader, and i uninstalled it incorrectly or something, and it wasn't letting e download anything. if you do have that installed, try uninstalling it, or reinstalling then uninstalling properly. since doing that, everything is working fine now.
Absolutely. I had forgotten about the problems S.D. caused some individuals. Do you have it installed?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Tavaison

Tavaison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Absolutely. I had forgotten about the problems S.D. caused some individuals. Do you have it installed?
i did, but deleted it with AppZapper instead of uninstalling it normally. but i reinstalled then uninstalled regularly, and now everything is working normally.
QUOTE Thanks
advancedOption

advancedOption is on a distinguished road

That appears to have fixed it... I almost lost-the-plot here in my office about 5 minutes ago.

Then searched for the problem again and found my way back here.

Found SpeedDownload Browser Plugin.plugin in ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

*Sigh of relief*

So if you can't download zip or dmg files hunt down and kill anything called Speed Download. Now to find the developers of it…
QUOTE Thanks
shonamelissa

I downloaded SD a while back but thought I had uninstalled it because I now use iGetter. Since an archive and install (done for other reasons) I haven't re-installed SD and everything appears to be working fine
QUOTE Thanks
kevdiggity

kevdiggity is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU for posting the solution to this, I've been trying to download iTunes 9 all day and I thought I was losing my mind!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Warcraft III" Installer Crashing | iTunes 9.2.1 closing automatically »