New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Installation Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZBoyer1

ZBoyer1 is on a distinguished road

Every time I try to install Photoshop CS4 on my Macbook Pro it says to remove CS3 or previous programs. I've deleted all of the Photoshop files I could find (except for a few .PSDs of projects I'm working on) but I can't get it installed.

I've downloaded a CleanApp to see if I have any Photoshop stuff hidden anywhere but I just can't figure out what the problem is.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Try backing up your photoshop projects to an external drive. There must be some files still on the machine for these to work so that appears where the probelem would be.

Do you still have CS3 discs with the uninstaller?
QUOTE Thanks
ZBoyer1

ZBoyer1 is on a distinguished road

I moved the PSDs to a CD and deleted them off the computer, but it still didn't work. They open with ColorSync Utility, which isn't Adobe (as far as I know), so I don't see how they'd matter if they're on the computer or not.

But either way, I'm at a loss.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

All can suggest is trying to reinstall CS3, download AppTrap and drag CS3 to the trash after AppTrap is up and running?
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

You can have both installed at the same time, so not sure why there is a conflict between the two versions. I have been using CS4 Photoshop for a few weeks now, but still rely on CS3 for a lot of plugins that aren't yet supported in CS4, also the new features and speed of CS4 Bridge is worth the upgrade alone if you use it at any stage in your workflow.

I'd say start by removing CS4, there is a "CS4 Removal" script included in the app folder somewhere, use this. Then go back and re-install CS3, get that working again, then see if you can install CS4 without trying to remove CS3, as they should be able to both be installed o the same machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Nevermore

Nevermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

You are entitled to run both CS3 and CS4 simultaneously so the original error message is a mystery. You might want to call the PS help desk? Or send them and email?
QUOTE Thanks
Luminosity

Luminosity is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.53 Ghz, 4 Gb Ram, 500 Gb HDD

Yeah, that is weird. Im running Photoshop Cs3 and Cs4 at the same time right now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exporting music in iTunes from PC to Mac | Jerky slideshow transitions »