New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox on Mac -- unusable?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

Everytime I fire this thing up my fan goes crazy while Activity Monitor's CPU lines fly off the charts. Is there a Firefox Lite or something to keep it from using so much system resources?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which version of Firefox is this? I am running the latest version of FireFox 3 here on an iMac G5 (Not even Intel) and it works great with no high CPU or Fans.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Never had that problem before - and I've been using Firefox since I got my first Mac.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Never had that problem before - and I've been using Firefox since I got my first Mac.
I was thinking they were using some beta version or something. I can not remember any issues like his either from a release version anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Which version of Firefox is this? I am running the latest version of FireFox 3 here on an iMac G5 (Not even Intel) and it works great with no high CPU or Fans.
The latest on a 1.83Ghz Intel
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
The latest on a 1.83Ghz Intel
Do you have any plug-ins installed?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Do you have any plug-ins installed?
Nope, barely had a chance to.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
Nope, barely had a chance to.
Just a shot in the dark, but did you actually drag the Firefox icon into the Applications folder, or are you running it directly from the disk image?

QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Just a shot in the dark, but did you actually drag the Firefox icon into the Applications folder, or are you running it directly from the disk image?
Dragged into the Apps folder
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

May need to do a clean re install of FF. I've been using FF 3.02 with no issues. The new beta 3.1b1 hangs up in rare occasions, but it is a beta version after all.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
docinsano

docinsano will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram

Hmmmmm....I've had similar problems with a PC, but never a mac... I second reinstalling Firefox. If that doesn't work, well, I don't know... I'm using 3.0.3 on a G4 and it doesn't rev up my CPU or fans, and I've had no other problems with Firefox other than it uses twice as much memory as it used to.....

Dr. Insano, PhD
Click, if you dare...
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Firefox 3.0.3 on a new MBP with no issues. An earlier 3.0.x version (don't remember which) did the high fan thing to me on my previous MB. This caused me to switch to Safari. I recently reinstalled Firefox to version 3.0.3 because Safari was sitting on 300 to 400MB of RAM after running for a day or so. Firefox seems to use about half of that and does not seem to creep up the RAM usage as Safiri seems to do now. Odd as Safari has run just fine for a year or so. Thus far no fan issues but I just started using it again this past weekend.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I know one of the BETA versions of Firefox 3 made my machine slow way down but nothing since the first official release of FF3 came out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What's wrong with my Photo Booth? | Office '08 Won't Open Files Correctly »