New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can I highlight text in Preview for Tiger? Are there better PdF programs outhere?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

I read a lot of PdF's on my computer as a grad student. I need to highlight text and make notes, but i don't seem to be able to do that with Preview (on a tiger operating system). Am i missing something? I hate using that red oval for marking text.

in general, are there better programs to download for using and taking notes on PdF files?

as always, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

You can highlight and annotate PDF documents in Preview, in Leopard. Tiger's Preview isn't very powerful.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Preview in Tiger gives you just the two forms of annotation, Text and Oval. Leopard adds rectangles, lines, and arrows.

You can download Adobe's PDF reader as well. It may just frustrate you enough to go out and buy Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

I have no need to change from Tiger so I'd rather not do it just for this. Is Adobe my only hope? Are there other programs that might be better?
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Indeed there are other programs out there. If no one replies by tomorrow I'll list out a couple of them. Till then Google is your friend.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

If I remember right, in Tiger you can hold down the option key and drag a box over text to select it, then either copy the text or drag and drop it into Textedit.
QUOTE Thanks
braderj112

braderj112 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxband View Post
I read a lot of PdF's on my computer as a grad student. I need to highlight text and make notes, but i don't seem to be able to do that with Preview (on a tiger operating system). Am i missing something? I hate using that red oval for marking text.

in general, are there better programs to download for using and taking notes on PdF files?

as always, thanks!
Try this out in preview, rename the pdf and then save it. Try to edit it then.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderj112 View Post
Try this out in preview, rename the pdf and then save it. Try to edit it then.
Thanks for the input and might come in handy for someone down the track but this thread is 2 years old brad

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Inconsistencies with "Back to My Mac" | flash problems ANY browser »