Rename A Previous User...
    Hi! I got a Macbook from my boss... It is the Macbook from hes previous assistant. I got the Macbook as it because I need to wok on the sames files...

The point is, I got the Admin Password (from my boss) And I've been able the modify the previous account password, name, and everything, except one thing.

In the finder.... under

System and Softwares --- users --- ''nameofthereviousguy''

that ''nameofthepreviousguy'' is what i'm trying to rename...
    The icon of thi folder is a House...

If I try the normal operation to rename a file in the finder and I put the new name I want, i get the following message...

''nameofthepreviousguy'' can't be modified or deleted because it is required by MAC OS X.

If I ctrl click on the folder and try trought the getinfo... (and the lock icon at the bottom is unlocked) I get the same error mesage...

Please Help me... I'm sick of seeing the previous guy name in my MAC.

BTW i litterally felt in love with MAC. MFG i should have discovered Mac before in my life !!! So happy... this is completly better than a PC !!!!

Thanks !!!

NEVER NEVER NEVER try to simply rename an existing user. Doing so can and will cause you a lot of trouble. Is there any particular reason why you can't just make a new user and copy over any needed files to the new user account?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Ok Thank you....
    Lol yes it's a good idea... in fact it's because I owrked with the Macbook during 3 months before so...
    So... I put alle the data I need on the HD
    Create a New Account
    Delete The old one and that's it ???

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar81 View Post
    Ok Thank you....
    Lol yes it's a good idea... in fact it's because I owrked with the Macbook during 3 months before so...
    So... I put alle the data I need on the HD
    Create a New Account
    Delete The old one and that's it ???
    That should do it. Of course, be sure you have everything you want before deleting the old account. Even if you do, OS X will actually archive it to a a folder called "Deleted Users", or perhaps it asks if you want to do that.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information